Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High or Higher-end Audio

I'm confused. I have seen nothing on the Chromecast Audio that says anything about different services being limited to only working with the analog outputs, and Spotify was one of the services they demoed it with. Tidal's app doesn't support Chromecast yet, but it's supposedly going to be out shortly.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/ch...ers/#?discover

Oh, I see, Spotify didn't support Chromecast until these new devices: http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/29/sp...omecast-audio/
    Last edited by Kchrpm; October 4th, 2015 at 06:13 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ah, my understanding was that the Chromecast Audio ONLY had an analog output, but apparently this http://asia.pcmag.com/sonos-play1/64...romecast-audio says that it also has "support for optical audio". If it has an optical out (which is not particularly clear from the Google webpage), then fine. In fact I might get one or two myself.

It does support optical audio, and it says it on that page, it has a graphic just below the lead video showing the three types of inputs: RCA, 3.5 mm and Optical.

I don't see the graphic on my iPad and don't remember seeing it beforehand, and I think you mean OUTPUT rather than input. Anyway, I'll wait for someone to confirm it by having done it in a review rather than a lame pcmag spread connecting it to a Sound Blaster Roar speaker...

What I don't understand is why none of these devices offer Logitech Smarthub-esque control of whatever they're plugged into. The "nice thing" about Sonos is that it's self-contained, so you can push a button and make sound come out of the other side of the house. Chromecast Audio is useless-ish because I still have to walk across the house to turn the amp on. These things need to have the ability to at least control those components or they aren't saving anyone anything. I just don't understand how they continually overlook that component. Conversely, I don't understand why Logitech sells a "wireless speaker adapter" (Bluetooth receiver with an audio output) but doesn't integrate that functionality into the Smart Hub. Everybody is halfway there, nobody has reached the end goal.

All the wireless speakers are stupid if you already have nice speaker and an amp - and they don't sound as good
    All the wireless speaker adapters are stupid because you still can't turn on your amp or control volume from far away
    All the wireless audio systems are stupid because they don't actually have good amps
    All the universal remote hubs are stupid because they don't support audio transport

Why can't someone just put all the pieces together? So annoying. I'm not buying anything til someone gets this shit sorted out into a cohesive environment.

Chromecasts (and presumably Chromecast 2s) have HDMI CEC functionality, so they can turn on your amp (and put it on the right input) if it also supports CEC. You can also control volume from the device you're casting from (phone/tablet/computer).

Problem is that anyone with a decent remote is going to have CEC disabled since a) it's not universally supported and b) it totally messes up universal remotes. It's great if you have two components with good compatibility, but for most people it's more trouble than it's worth. Also, controlling volume from the audio source doesn't make any sense, though. You want the amp doing the work, not screwing with line-level volume. If CEC and input volume fiddling were the only ways that existed to do things I'd feel differently, but since actual solutions to these problems have existed for a really long time, I just don't understand why someone won't integrate it all together.

That said, knowing nothing about it, how do you distringuish between five or six Chromecasts deployed in a single environment? I can use Logitech's Smarthubs named "Living Room" and "Bedroom" to control devices in those locations. Sonos works the same way. How do I control which Chromecast I am broadcasting to?

RE: CEC and its limitations and a need for something better, I am reminded of this xkcd comic:

RE: how do you control multiple in the same environment: you name the Chromecasts. When you're in whatever media app and press the cast button, it pops up a menu asking which one you'd like to cast to.

You can also pull up the Chromecast app and see all the connected devices and what they're currently showing/playing.

Good to know. I think I shall try one or two at some point this year. FireTV has totally displaced AppleTV as my go-to recommendation as it keeps getting better, and AppleTV just keeps doing the same thing.

That said, I'd be interested at some point to do a qualitative analysis of audio from various devices... I feel like there is a wide variation here, and one reason why I really like my wireless doodad to be discrete from the rest of the audio system. I have a couple BT/APTX "dongles" around that just take wireless audio in and put optical audio out. That's about the best solution - but none of these bloody devices provide any way to distinguish one from the other. Chromecast Audio might fix that.

Well, I unpacked the Muo and I was surprised at how big it is. Probably the same size as a Fugoo.

Its first 2 hours of use were spent keeping me company while doing inventory in my wine cellar. I can report that it plays 80s and 90s pop hits with verve and keeps one involved. It is an enjoyable and musical BT speaker.