Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: High or Higher-end Audio

I own a 5.1 system, but it was reduced to a 3.1 system seven years ago. IIRC sometime in 2014 I cared, but it's been a while. I will probably add the two rear speakers back in next year or the year after when we remodel that room. But, you know, who cares?

Exactly. The last time I seriously rocked out big-time was, I think, in mid-2015. I just played some metal (audio only) to myself when everyone else was out of the house and headbanged.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I've had 7.1/11.1/7.2 (seriously two subs?!) capably systems for years, but never went more than the standard 5.1.

Given the shape of our current living room anyway, the surrounds are sitting on the floor behind the couch. No clue where I'd put 2-4 more...

The fucking cat would probably eat the wires anyway.

I have a 7.1 system. I don't think the other two surrounds do anything to help above 5.1, really. Most of them probably aren't even mastered in 7.1, because no one uses it. They just make up the stuff in the other channels most of the time... which is kind of what I see DTS-X being like.

Drew, Atmos can use 2 front & rear up firing speakers (that sit atop the regular fronts/rears) to create the overhead sound. They bounce the sound off the ceiling. So, you wouldn't need to find more room for them, just wiring.

Looking for those images, I found Drew's dream room...

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Too many seats. Just needs a comfy recliner and a flip-n-fuck.

Nobody's perfect!!!

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Well, in my defense, [I]every[I] room should have a F-n-F.

Bump.

It's been 14 years with my original music/ht system. Part of selling the blue car was to fund an upgrade in this department. Originally it was just going to be new speakers. One thing has led to another and now I have a Parasound integrated, a bit of room treatment about to go up (for first order reflections), and I'm currently auditioning 3 pairs of tower speakers. Yikes.

A friend of mine locally is really into this stuff and is in the local circles. His system, curated skillfully over a couple decades, is amazing in ways one has to hear to believe. Sounds better than a $50k+ system I've heard. So anyway he's been helping with this process. I feel like the newb who doesn't know how to set up a car to handle well and would just throw parts at it half blindly. My goal is to get 80-90% as engaging as my friend's "reference" system without spending a ton.

Emotiva T2 towers and Q Acoustics 3050i towers are battling it out daily. The Chane A5.4s had incredibly inert cabinets and great bass extension and quality, just lacked in midrange fullness. Maybe with old tube gear they'd sound more to my liking. But I've just boxed them up to go back.

P.S. - My CD player is
    IMG_20180807_211339.jpg

Guess I should update this.

For anyone wondering, a DAC can make a great difference. That little silver unit in the pic above is a brilliant little box. It's Schiit Audio's "baby" DAC, the Modi Multibit. It makes a big difference and I definitely prefer it over the DAC in the most excellent Parasound HINT 6 integrated.

After all that speaker auditioning the Q Acoustics 3050i were crowned kings of my music room and took up residence there. Not many months after that, my friend decided to let his old Snell E/III speakers go. Sneakily, he performed this fleecing by first bringing them to my house to listen to them in my room on my system. They didn't do some things as well as the Qs, but I was overall really enjoying the vintage sound 'signature' of the Snells so much I bought them off of him. For any CA residents here who didn't see it on FB, I'm selling the Qs for a couple hundred less than new even though they don't have many miles on them. PM me if interested. New they're $840. I kinda wanted to keep them, but figured I'm not really using them and I could put the money elsewhere.

My living room (where the TV is) retained the trusty old bargain Fluance speakers, the SVS subwoofer, and Denon surround receiver - all from 2004 and all still kicking butt. I did *finally* run additional speaker wire in the living room to hook up the surround speakers for the first time in years. Promptly watched the Mexican GP in 5.1 surround and it was pretty engaging. Later I switched the PS4 settings from PCM to Bitstream DTS. Which promptly introduced a noticeable delay in audio. It's HDMI to the TV and the TV outputs sound via either optical or analog to the receiver. My guess is the TV (a few years old Vizio) is causing a delay in the pass through of surround audio. I'll hook up an optical cable directly from the PS4 to the receiver and see if that helps.

During the intro movies in GT Sport, I was really loving the DTS sound. I understand it's technically compressed audio but it sounded much more alive than PCM for me - perhaps because of the bargain RadioShack cable I'm using for analog out from TV.