Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004/2005 SL500 (R230)

2004/2005 SL500 (R230)

Is it a crazy idea for me to buy one of these? It's pretty much the only post-2000 Merc that I really like the looks of, and I know the owner.

While the car would be cheap, I appreciate that maintenance won't be cheap, and I'd probably have to upgrade the head unit. Maybe I'll just go all the way and put a Lorinser bodykit on it, chrome surrounds around the lights, ground-effect lighting, 20" deep-dish rims...

OK, I kid. But I'm considering doing it, to add to my collection of mid-2000s cars. I really prefer a lot of stuff put out during that period to some of the stuff produced over the last 5-7 years.

Ask here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...nmt=#seperator as there are loads and loads of owners and experts. The main Mercedes section will have loads of info too.

Also, http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1131392

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    The R230 is pretty much the best looking Merc to me, and i'm hoping to one day own an SL55. Could buy four R32 Skyline GT-R's for that money (seen a few for 80k NZD, they came out here at 200k...) , but that Merc is just mega nommy. And take the speed limiter off it and it'll do the exact same speed as a Ferrari F50 (my ultimate dream car), 202mph/325km/h.

The 500 still looks pretty much the same. Remove the badges, chuck on a push button supercharger whine and you'll have a 55. Unless you're happy with the 500, then just ignore what i wrote.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; October 4th, 2015 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks Alan.

Given that I can lose my licence in a Micra I doubt I'll need an SL55.

US$7500 was spent on routine maintenance of it last year (including shocks, so I suppose the ABC) and the licence fee every year is around US$1,500 due to the engine size, so it's not a particularly good idea for what would be, in effect, a fourth car that (once the rent for another parking space is included) would cost me the equivalent of 75% of one child's annual school fees.

A Honda S660, or an Elise, would seem to make much more sense for open-air thrills.

I've never been a big fan of the SLs, but from casual reading on various forums I understand they are pretty reliable. I think the big bugaboo - as always - is the adjustable suspension. Generally reliable, but not a lifetime component and $$$ when it fails. All cars that feature this stuff end up costing like $1k per corner. I think the only other major specific to the SL are the roof seals. Without care they fail and let the interior get wet, which ruins expensive electronics. Given a garaged, sunshine-only car it may not be an issue.

Not sure whether an Elise is a better or worse car, but it's definitely a different car. After several experiments I'm definitely more of a 4-place convertible person. I'd take a CLK or a Mustang over an SL or an Elise for the convertible factor. I want a fixed hardtop for a sports car of any type.

Is this Steve Jobs' car?

Pretty sure he doesn't have a car anymore. Not legally, anyway. California does not recognize rotting corpses.

I meant is this the same kinda car he's been leasing every few months to avoid having a real license plate?

Yeah, well, with costs like that I might as well spend the money on other stuff. It'll also only get more expensive as time passes. What do you mean by a 4 place convertible though? 4 seat? I already have the brz as a tiny 4 seater...

And yes, I think it was the model he used to lease and release to avoid having a number plate.