Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flooding in SC

Cam, I was up before the dawn on Sunday morning and flipped on the Weather Channel as I typically do, and I thought of you specifically - just in case you're feeling lonely and insecure and unloved.

I watched the storm coverage often this weekend and remembered what it's like to watch a storm roll in and then have to deal with the aftermath, with no power or water, long lines for gasoline and food, price-gouging for things like ice and chainsaws and generators, and all other kinds of general misery for a few days...and that was just for us folks lucky enough not to have the roof blown off their house, or worse.

Living in both Carolinas for a total of 26 years, including downtown Charleston during Hurricane Hugo in '89, and with my parents owning a beach house an island near Wilmington from '82 to '91, and then moving there to live on the island full-time from '91 until around 2004 or so, I've been through (and cleaned up after!) more hurricanes than I can remember. This latest one sounds worse than most, with what the Weather Channel called a "fire hose" of rain storms coming over for hours, right in front of the approaching hurricane. Wow.

Typing this, I just had a strong memory of being a hot, sweaty, filthy mess the next day(s), smelling like two-stroke gas-oil mix and covered in sap from downed pine trees and mosquito bites and who knows what else - probably ticks, too - and the power being out, so only cold showers were available. It was better sometimes to just use the hose and a bucket and sponge to get clean outside, in the sun, than to go freeze in a cold shower inside a dark house, and where we couldn't flush the toilets because the ground was so saturated that the septic field wouldn't flow until the ground dried out.

Ah, good times.

Best wishes to those affected by this storm.

Holy cow. Was thinking about whether to request a transfer to SC last year..., glad we didn't!

Or if we ever do, I'll remember to get a place that's away from the ocean and on a hill...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Or if we ever do, I'll remember to get a place that's away from the ocean and on a hill...

Anyone else see the irony?

Well, that approach solved my hurricane problems.

Signed,

High and Dry