Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Robber Baron thinks you oughr to retire at 75 and work 11 hour shifts

I am less worried about not being able to do my job and more worried about age discrimination. I am definitely in a field where you just age out - me now probably wouldn't hire me then. Not for age per se, but rather things that come with age. I get it, it sucks.

I do think I can find other things to do, however. Maybe I can't administrate networks forever, but I'd like to think I could work at CarMax, work for a company that does application, training, or - if I get off my ass - earn a little income doing some sort of craft work (sadly, not Kraftwerk). Woodworking (and techno) has always interested me, and I would enjoy a future like my friend Alvero who builds high-end standalone cabinetry (like armoires) to supplement his income. He makes a few of them a year at $10k each, half of which is his labor. An extra $15k on top of SS and 401k would be great - especially because it's an active and productive time-filler.

There are definitely some jobs you can't do forever - you're not going to actively be building houses at 75, but you have to prep yourself to take on alternative roles. The company we primarily use for home improvements employs some of their aged laborers as estimators. That's a great job for a 75 year old where experience is invaluable. I keep my eyes out for these things, because I know I can't do this forever *and* I don't want to be a sit around and do nothing retiree. I wonder what late-life career opportunities are at burningman.org?

I wonder why people have such different mind-sets...

I'd love to be able to retire now (granted I had enough funds to support myself) and do whatever I wanted. Be that working on cars, traveling, or even working in a job that I cared about but could just do whenever I wanted.

That's not going to happen for a long time. But, I'd like to be able to enjoy my life as much as possible. And I don't get much joy from working.

I do enjoy working.
    In an odd stop that I'm about to be made redundant and wondering if I need another job.
    I only need a part time or contract work to get enough money till I'm old enough to access my superannuation.
    But I really like doing my job, well most of the time.

I hoping I can get some contract work, enough to keep my entertained and cashed. But with gaps so I can go and enjoy things like travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    If you say so.
    Well I know plenty of people that age who have severe Parkinson's. Now granted, some people will be able and some will even want to, but I don't think it should be something society expects. What was stupid though was the policy the UK had of mandatory retirement at 60 up until about 5-8 years ago. Plenty of people willing to continue working lost good jobs because of that policy. Working after 60-65 should definitely be voluntary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    I do enjoy working.
    In an odd stop that I'm about to be made redundant and wondering if I need another job.
    I only need a part time or contract work to get enough money till I'm old enough to access my superannuation.
    But I really like doing my job, well most of the time.

I hoping I can get some contract work, enough to keep my entertained and cashed. But with gaps so I can go and enjoy things like travel.
    *He typed with his boss looking over his shoulder.*

Nah, I know what you mean, there are some good times. Sadly for me they come about once every 6-12 months when I finally get something working.