Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robber Baron thinks you oughr to retire at 75 and work 11 hour shifts

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

Robber Baron thinks you oughr to retire at 75 and work 11 hour shifts

But only three times a week.

I know, this sounds like total dockonomics... But still, discuss.
    acket.

I used to work 4 10s and it was great. I would gladly trade up to 3 11s. Sign me up. I might be okay with 7 5s, now that I think about it. I think 5 8s is ridiculous, because it totally murders 70% of the week.

I am also okay conceptually with working til 75 - especially if that's doing 3 11s. My dad retired at 72 or 73 primarily because he could not find a job that was better than his pension, but he was not prepared to retire. I might feel differently in another 30-40 years, but right now I can't stand not working. I'm good for a week or two, but after that I need something productive to do. Need.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I believe people reach a profesional maturity later in life and 3/11s would allow people ib their fifties not reach it all that banged up.
    acket.

I will tell you I was a LOT more relaxed doing 4 10s. Working an 8 hour day means there isn't quite enough time to be useful or even fun at home and still be okay the next day and there is no opportunity for overtime without starting to impact eating and sleeping. I would rather a work day totally wipe out a calendar day - Sleep-work-sleep-work-sleep-work-sleep and then four days of unmitigated personal time would almost certainly improve quality of life. And, if you ended up needing a slightly longer work day you're not affecting work or sleep.

On the subject of wishful chronologies, I think governments should be shut down during the day and operate only at night. Balances road and resource use, and gives The People access to their governments without having to take time from work to do it. Having to work swing shifts is a great penalty for having a government job too.

Here's to 3 11s and nocturnal governments!

I work 4 tens. This is why I made the switch to nursing.

Nocturnal government would be amazing.

I worked 54 hrs in five days this week. The longest day was 12.5 hrs, the shortest was 7.5.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Here's to 3 11s and nocturnal governments!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Nocturnal government would be amazing.
    Oi!

Tim used to work 4-10s, but he set his schedule so that he had Wednesday off. Worked great for getting all his errands done and leaving free time for the weekend.
    Whoomah!

normal work week for me is 3 11s and a 7 for my 40. the last two weeks i did 7 12s.

Pros and cons to it. You would get awful stiff those 3 days but then you'll get to see daylight 4 times a week in winter. Not sure how well human concentration works over 11 hour periods for thought intense jobs though. I kind of enjoy my pre-work workout too. Wouldn't have time for that with 11 hour shifts. Add in lunch and commuting and we're really talking about 13 hour shifts, 8am-9pm. How well would you sleep if you left work at 9pm had dinner and then went to sleep? I know my mind wouldn't shut down that quick.

I'll take a French 32 hour week though and heck, it seems to work, they still have a car industry and a space industry and the same GDP as the UK without the big fact BS financial sector.
    Last edited by LHutton; October 17th, 2015 at 12:54 AM.

I've done 12s. Sign me up!