Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the thread where we talk about bad driving/riding/walking

I was wondering how she ripped it off so easily.

the ripping of the mirror is real, the news is fake

Was driving behind a newer model Lexus IS and I noticed one of the rear wheels was kinda wobbly looking. Figured they got into an accident and bent something. As I was passing beside him, I tried to have a look, and didn't see any damage around the wheel. The driver was on the phone and didn't seem concerned at all. As I got passed him, I looked in my mirror and saw it getting worse, then BOOM. The wheel flew off and went flying across the road. It was right behind me, so I just floored it so I didn't get hit by it (lights were about to change, so it could have if I stopped). Luckily it didn't hit any cars on our side of the road, but I couldn't see if it managed to cross the median.

Administrator
    Too many incidents to mention, but I noticed in my six hours of driving to SD and back this weekend that BMW are making a strong push to retake the douchebag crown from Audi.

Why do people back into parking spaces? It makes the overall parking and leaving experience more difficult when you combine backing up your vehicle with the more difficult step of lining up your car in the spot, as opposed to backing out of the spot, when you're not actually trying to back the vehicle into a defined spot.

Administrator
    For me, it's because during the "lower visibility" backing up phase, I don't have to worry about some asshat coming flying down the aisle and refusing to stop while I can't see him. That was a common problem in the MX-5, you'd end up between two SUVs and basically have to back out of a spot on blind faith. Much easier to back in in the first place, and it's really not that hard to line up with the spot while backing up. It might even be easier, much like it is when you parallel park - certainly lead to less "oh crap, didn't complete the turn in time and now I'm diagonal in the spot" episodes.

1) Because they'd rather back in to a spot with fixed limiting objects they can see than back out of it into a lane of moving objects that they can't see.
    2) They're front-loading the stress, dealing with it now rather than later.
    3) The argument a driving instructor gave me as that you're already deep in the driving/awareness mindset when you arrive at your destination, vs when you leave you're just ramping into it from whatever mindset you were just in.

I'm not arguing that backing in is better, just saying that is why I and I presume others have chosen to do it. I still rarely back in, though, because I'm a lazy procrastinator.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I do it a lot, especially when I'm going to be somewhere a while, and that orientation leads to less sun on the drivers seat and steering wheel.

Also for the reasons mentioned above. It make a lot of sense in small cars.

I'll back into a spot if I feel it'll be easier to see when leaving. I have a small car, and even in the city, it seems most people drive huge fucking tanks, so yeah... I'll sometimes want to be able to see out of the spot a bit easier.

I don't get people who back into spots at Costco who I later see loading their bulk purchases in tight confines.