Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071

Thread: This is the thread where we talk about bad driving/riding/walking

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    You guys know I'm not siding with the car driver.
    I know that, but it sounded a heck of a lot like how people on NextDoor were talking about it. Some actually claiming that the guy was probably running an insurance scam. The past couple of days out here has been a lot of people saying they're sure the cyclist did something to deserve it, even so far as the "vehicular cyclists" that seem to dominate San Diego blaming him for *not* taking up the full lane, so I may be a little sensitive to anything at the moment that might absolve the driver of *any* of the blame.

Knowing the area (and how people are driving around here these days), I would not be shocked if the driver just decided to take the cyclist out. I don't think it's the first time it's happened over there either, this one just happened to be caught on dashcam. That spot is both one of the most dangerous spots on LA streets and, unfortunately, one of the only realistic routes if you're trying to get from Silverlake to Downtown.

Being a cyclist is its own punishment with its own outsized assumption of risk. I don't go out of my way to antagonize them because they've suffered enough just being who they are.

The risks some road users take is mind-boggling. Lori and I were riding the Cherohala Skyway over the week-end, (among other places.) A motorcyclist with a passenger was following me pretty dang closely. Lori signaled to use a pull-out to let vehicles behind go, so I did too. The motorcycle behind immediately attempted a pass on us during a double yellow line on a blind corner. A pick-up truck appeared from the other direction. I had to make an emergency maneuver to the right to allow enough room for them to not get squished. They probably would have taken me out with them if there was a collision. That was the worst of several questionable things I witnessed this week-end.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Are you guys using your fancy comms units? What's the difference to when you were soloing it out on Route 129?
    acket.

Yes, we used our comms. It is nice to chat while riding. I do not understand your second question.

I guess the "nice" covers it.

acket.

Am i correct in guessing that an overloaded trailer will snake out of the pulling vehicle's path?
    acket.

Trailer sway is caused by CG being too far back. Ideally tongue/hitch weight in front need to be about 10~15% of overall trailer weight. Without this fwd weight bias, the trailer just might snake or sway out of control even if it is NOT overloaded. It’s important to load the trailer properly.

I thought Columbia was bad for red-light runners. The complete disregard many people have for road safety here in DC is disturbing.