Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the thread where we talk about bad driving/riding/walking

Ace

Like a glove.

Riding my bike home from school this morning. Bus stopped on opposite side of the street. Pick-up truck moves 2/3 of the way into my lane across a double yellow line to pass the bus. He's basically coming straight at me. I squeeze to the right a bit toward the parked cars. Thankfully, the street is wide. Motion my hand toward the guy, "What the eff, dude?" He honks at me, of course.

Administrator
    Somewhat similar. Was riding down one of only two streets in Beverly Hills that is supposed to be a bike route. Has bike lanes to the north, but just sharrowed to the south, where I was. I've got a ton of stuff in my panniers and can feel it dragging the bike around, so I'm not going super fast over the speed bumps on the street.

Prius behind me is apparently getting impatient and must have pulled to his left, leading to the oncoming truck laying on his horn. As soon as the truck passes, the Prius guns it to get around me. Gets to the cars at the stop sign, and I roll past, giving him the thumbs up as I pass him and turn right. He gave me a different gesture.

Last night, a main road that goes from US-1 where I am near the coast, where all the business stuff is etc, over west to I-95 was closed for work on a RR crossing. So traffic was 10x time the nightmare it already is around here. I live just about 300 yards or so east of US-1, and traffic was backed up to my street. Mind you the light at US-1 is only long enough for maybe 5 cars to get through. But because of the extra traffic in every direction, everyone on US-1 was stopping in the intersection, blocking the road. I'm positive it would have taken 45-60 minutes to go those 300 yards. So I said fuck it and got on my bike and split to the front. When the light turned green, lo and behold, I was the only one able to get through before it turned red again because I could get past the morons sitting in the intersection. I think it's going to be like this all week

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Somewhat similar. Was riding down one of only two streets in Beverly Hills that is supposed to be a bike route. Has bike lanes to the north, but just sharrowed to the south, where I was. I've got a ton of stuff in my panniers and can feel it dragging the bike around, so I'm not going super fast over the speed bumps on the street.

Prius behind me is apparently getting impatient and must have pulled to his left, leading to the oncoming truck laying on his horn. As soon as the truck passes, the Prius guns it to get around me. Gets to the cars at the stop sign, and I roll past, giving him the thumbs up as I pass him and turn right. He gave me a different gesture.
    Sadly, it doesn't occur to him for one second that you cost him zero time. Self entitled idiots never understand how traffic works.

I'm still trying to visualize a Prius gunning it. But perhaps my boss drives his extra cautiously, watching the efficiency telemetry all the time.

I'm still trying to visualize a Prius gunning it.
    Ha! I was just thinking the same thing, and thinking, wait, he couldn't simply pedal harder to outrun the Prius and avoid the conflict?