Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the thread where we talk about bad driving/riding/walking

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

As a matter of point, in the following situation, should the car wait?

A cyclist has indicated to turn right.

Administrator
    There's a lot of context missing. I'm assuming the driver is behind the cyclist and also wanting to turn right, and there's only one lane to turn right from? Then yes, the driver should wait.

And by right turn, I assume we are talking in UK where you're turning across on-coming traffic. The car should wait if it is also turning, or if there is not enough room to safely pass and continue straight. Same goes really in either direction.

Really though, you couldn't be more vague with your hypothetical.

Administrator
    I need a concrete answer to this. If I can't even, should I?

2-way cycletracks suck.

Last edited by overpowered; February 21st, 2016 at 06:53 PM.

Administrator
    Meh, I still like it.

DC is in need of a biking (and driving and walking) etiquette overhaul, but I have a feeling that won't ever happen, since it seems to be a largely east coast thing. Last week I almost pasted multiple cyclists who ran stop lights and stop signs, or went against the flow of automobile traffic, or shot across a street in diagonal against traffic from behind a large parked vehicle/storage container. I just don't get it. I mean, it's somewhat understandable for people in two ton vehicles to behave like idiots since they have this feeling of safety. But if you're a pedestrian, or on two wheels, I feel like you'd have safer practices. One of the cyclists I barely missed was a young kid and I almost had to pull over afterwards because I was kinda freaked out.

People keep telling me that riding my bike in the middle of the lane is guaranteed to get me rear ended. Not according to this study from the NHTSA. Slow vehicles rarely get rear ended.

Analyses of Rear-End Crashes and Near-Crashes in the 100-Car Naturalistic Driving Study to Support Rear-Signaling Countermeasure Development

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NRD/M...810%20846).pdf

Page xvi:

Rear-end crashes, near-crashes, and incidents were analyzed using data collected from the 100-Car Study in order to provide insights into the role of rear-signaling systems in crash prevention and aid in the design of enhanced rear-signaling systems. As indicated, there were 7,024 rearend events logged in the database: 27 crashes, 450 near-crashes, and 6,547 incidents. The vast majority of these events (88%) were conflicts with a lead vehicle; data for conflicts with a following vehicle were captured, but represent a minority of cases (about 12%). Of the 7,024 observed rear-end events, 45 percent involved a decelerating lead vehicle, 38 percent involved a stopped lead vehicle, 2 percent involved a slower moving lead vehicle, and 15 percent occurred under various other situations. Crashes were predominately characterized by situations in which the lead vehicle was stopped, whereas near-crashes and incidents were more evenly distributed across instances of both stopped and decelerating lead vehicles. The majority of rear-end crash events (59%, or 16 out of 27) involved a stopped lead vehicle, while 22 percent (6 out of 27) occurred under conditions of a decelerating lead vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    And by right turn, I assume we are talking in UK where you're turning across on-coming traffic. The car should wait if it is also turning, or if there is not enough room to safely pass and continue straight. Same goes really in either direction.

Really though, you couldn't be more vague with your hypothetical.
    In this case the cyclist is turning right but the car is not. I guess using OP's centre lane style, the question is void.