Page 130 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1474

Thread: Gran Turismo Sport

Junior Potato
    Oh dang.

Jimmy Broadbent drove it at the World Tour thing today, and said it was being BoP’d for GT3 class as well (although if being used outside of GT3 it’ll be more powerful).

I wish they’d make them more accurate. They need to get the LM-GTE/GT1 cars into Group 2 and replace/update Group 3 with proper GT3 cars like the new 911.2 GT3 R and the NSX GT3 Evo.

Junior Potato
    Man there are so many angry people playing GT tonight. Well, this week. I’ve had whole nights ruined by shoddy sportsmanship. Mostly from side-swiping if you have the gall to get a better corner exit and pull alongside. The odd dive bomber will show up and think they own the apex. This wasn’t a thing in the A/A+ SR lobbies a few weeks ago.

One guy in an X2014 Jnr race, a 10 lap showdown at Autopolis, decided it was his god given right to be able to pass anyone on any corner, even had a go at punting me into the grass with no penalty in retaliation for me not giving up the downhill corner after the hairpin when he tried to pass on the outside! It basically ruined my race, put me from 6th to 16th. Some consistent driving got me back up to 12th.

I watched the replay and I wasn’t his only victim. But somehow he found himself sliding backwards into the group I was tailing. They just happened to be a couple of drivers who he’d forced his way past earlier on, and on the last few corners of the last lap the three of us absolutely murdered the shit out of him. I nailed him into the gravel about 20 meters before the final kink onto the straight. I came 9th, corrected to 10th after a 4 second penalty. Our victim came 16th and last, and skulked his way to the pits after being reset on the track.

Speaking of World Tour, the end of Nations Cup was a hell of a race.

The359 and I found ourselves in the same split of the final Nations Cup race tonight. It was a great clean race and we both finished on the podium. Some Canadian dude () was all over me most of the race, close but clean. The draft is really something here. Kind of an interesting race strategy-wise because the tires easily lasted the whole race but the fuel didn't - so on top of being a draft war it was also a chess game of fuel saving.

The prior race time slot was cutthroat nasty. Looks like the penalty system is more lenient than it was last time I was doing these FIA races, and people have figured out how to game the system, push other cars and get by with no penalty. Some guy got mad at me after the race when he turned himself across my nose (I was already at the edge of the track and wasn't going to lift on the 2nd to last lap), forgetting all the times I bump drafted him earlier to help him/us catch the lead pack again. Whatever.

Curious if this hotlink works....
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/gt7sp-prod/...23478544_0.jpg

Junior Potato
    The hotlink works!

And yes the penalty system is a shamozzle. I can't put my finger on the specifics of it, where they seem to have fixed whatever caused the issues a fortnight ago yet the last week of racing I've taken part in still has problem drivers, but your cheerful "Whatever " highlights the clear difference between our respective approaches to the situation as it stands right now, if you compare it to my last post.

I've kept away from the FIA series in the last few weeks, partly because of the tough schedule they've changed to, and partly because it's 30c with 80% humidity at the moment and my air-con is broken and I don't have too much patience to throw at it.

So I think it's skewing my perception of online multiplayer in GT Sport right now. I did one series of FIA towards the end of last year and they were some of the most intense and stongly-fought races I've ever been a part of, and they were fair. I didn't mind coming 9th if it was my mistake or I wasn't fast enough. To come 9th because someone decided their right to track space overrode mine in an unfair manner really climbs up my sphincter. I plan to try an FIA race this weekend, hopefully the people I race with are as considerate as I hope them to be.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Who was the Canadian, I didn't recognize the name? It seems a lot of people are using new accounts, lots of S rank players I've never seen before.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

I didn't recognize his name either, but I haven't done much online GT racing in a while. And some guys change their screen names often, yeah.

RWA, you were hard done by. I my case last night I wasn't the victim, hence my whatever. When I saw the guy spinning across my front bumper I braked and hoped he would recover, but by the time I realized he wasn't catching his tankslapper I continued on (after losing 2-3 more spots). I can understand him being upset, it does suck to spin out of 4th place with a lap and a half to go, but he did it to himself. He probably thought he was clear.

There may be more of a wild west attitude compared to earlier last year. But I've only done 2 races so far this year and they were both very different from each other in that respect. I'll wait and see. It it does seem like the penalty system's refinements over the last several months have left it in a worse state than it was before. It's like the AI - it was pretty reasonable when GTS first came out and it didn't take long for them to ruin it with updates.

Since the hotlink works, a few more from last night:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gt7sp-prod/...44156688_0.jpg
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/gt7sp-prod/...66442000_0.jpg
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/gt7sp-prod/...34447896_0.jpg This one looked much better on my TV. Here on my monitor it's washed out and loses its artsy flair.

Hah, awesome. I clicked on the second one and as soon as it loaded the old song "My Favorite Game" started playing in my head. It's so GT, in a good way.

Manufacturer's Cup racing tonight - start of a new season. I didn't do great but I think I know why. Well, for the first race I just practiced for 15 minutes with two different cars, picked one (signed with Honda) and went straight into qualifying for one of the races. I think I qualified 14th or so. Finished 12th. The NSX Gr4 handles pretty well but isn't very fast in a straight line so it's hard to pass at Spa. This was my 'practice' race to get a feel for running the NSX in traffic (draft and aero loss) and for the strategies people were employing. I entered the next race with a revised strategy and more track time to be more confident to nail my qualifying lap. I qualified 18th. It looked like everyone was qualifying in draft trains - to me that's hard to pull off and I like to qualify with clear road ahead. But maybe that cost me here. I was 2s off pole! Maybe more. This race was more fun and I finished 8th. I'm happy with gaining 10 spots, sure would have liked a top 5 though. Perhaps next time I should practice more - and hope for a track less draft dependent. The next race is Fuji so that one may be tough in the NSX, too.

Junior Potato
    Much better racing for me tonight at Autopolis. Much, much better.

Firstly, I improved my qualifying time by a half-second and straight away landed in a lobby with pole position.

This is my race 1 lap chart (on the right). The best way to race is to pump out the best lap you can do for every lap of the race. I’m not metronomic to within 2 tenths, but I like looking at this reasonably tight window of lap times.

It can grant you a result like this:

Yeah that’s right. I lapped three cars.

But looking at my competitors, their rankings were B B B B C C C C D D D. I don’t know how I ended up in that race, as compared to any other race, but a win is a win

For the second and third races I took part in tonight, I was placed in lobbies that were much more around my ranking level. The first of those was marred by a few incidents including one rude overtaker who nudged me in T1 and costing me two spots, followed by those two cars running themselves off the track while they battled on the very same lap. What’s the point guys? Result was a comfortable fourth.

The final race was much tougher. I improved my quali again by over half a second (I’m juuuust shy of the 1:42 mark) and started fifth. Everyone got through T1 ok but here were some proper helmsmen in this race and I got mugged on the first lap losing two spots straight away. Someone made a borderline nasty overtake on me, putting me to 8th but I kept my head down. By the end of the first lap two cars in front of me had spun out, promoting me back to 6th. One lap later I had caught the guy who rudely slipped past. They were prudent enough to recognise that I did the bit between the hairpins better than them and allowed a clean pass to take place.

Another pass and I was looking at a solid fourth as long as I maintained a clean performance. I was slowly catching 2nd and 3rd and mid-way through the race it looks like they had an altercation at the big hairpin as there was a slow ghosted car in the corner and the braking markers knocked down. Luckily I use a dark patch of grass to judge my braking there so I was fine.

So I spent the next four laps in 3rd, 5 seconds behind 2nd and 5 seconds ahead of 4th, driving hard in the hope that I could snag 2nd if that driver made a mistake, while also making sure I didn’t stuff it up myself and lose the podium. You can still have a good time if you’re in no man’s land on the circuit if you set yourself a goal!

I’m beginning to seriously love Autopolis. At first it felt impossible to drive, but once you start to really learn it’s curves it’s incredibly rewarding. The downhill right after the big hairpin is a real piss-cutter, one of the most exciting corners you’ll find anywhere. And the ensuing rollercoaster back up to the front straight is fantastic. It’s a real gran-turismoey track, like the sort of thing they’d design as a fake circuit to chuck into the game. Except it’s real. I love it!