Page 22 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo Sport

Junior Potato
    True. But I definitely intend to play this a lot. It’ll be a great game to play on the couch with a controller, like all GTs have been in the past.

Yeah, wasn't a dig at you. Just at GT as a franchise.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    shit car list....I'm sure there will be DLC soon....just to piss us off further

It's a bit light on skylines

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    shit car list....I'm sure there will be DLC soon....just to piss us off further
    Well, this game isn’t a ‘full’ numbered GT release, so I think GT7 will be along eventually (who knows, in ten years time on PS5?) and it’ll have 40 tracks and 1200 cars.

This title from the start has been an MP focused title with a light sprinkling of single player stuff, kind of like EA’s first SW Battlefront if two years ago. It’ll have licence tests and challenges, that sort of stuff. It’s important to know this before jumping in.

The only drawback I can see is that it should be charged at half price, rather than full game price.

Junior Potato
    Demo up now.

Junior Potato
    Right, so I’ve had a real quick dick around with a few things. First of all the game gives you mileage points alongside the usual credits you get for winning races. You get these by completing races, and there are a swathe of achievements (not like Xbox achievements) you can… achieve, such as driving a certain distance or creating a livery etc. The mileage points can then be spent at a mileage exchange, which sells customisation things like new stickers (more on those soon) and helmets, wheels, colours, even whole cars that you can’t buy in the showroom. I mention this first up because this is the sort of shitty thing that they’ll eventually turn into a microtransactions-based setup, so keep your eyes on this in the coming weeks.

Next up, the driving. Yep, feels just like Gran Turismo. I raced wil all assists off except ABS. The cars feel eerily communicative and easy to fang around with a controller. I haven’t played a GT game for about two years, but I felt at home within a few laps. I mostly raced a Mercedes-AMG GT3 for the heck of it (no patience for slow cars at the moment - haha!) and once I got used to the slower steering feel compared to Forza and Assetto and PCars I was racing like a true gamer boi.

Starting on the bad side, this is very much not a sim. I can punt cars and still make corners. I can ram walls by accident and still make corners. I can jam the brakes way too late and steer it right into the apex (thanks ABS) while passing forty cars in the braking zone. Basically, anything even slightly ham-fisted that will see you punished in a proper sim can be handily gotten-away with here in GT Sport. The game defaults to racing hard slicks and it feels like you’re floating around a bit, but why not just chuck on a set of super soft slicks and make it feel like a go-kart eh? lolololol And the rally driving is not even the steam off Dirt Rally’s piss. The track is really wide like Classic GT dirt courses are, so it’s more like rally cross, but floaty as hell. I think they’ve gone backwards with this compared to GT4 and 5.

On the ok side, the AI is pretty quick until you get the hang of where the track goes and what your car can do. You can trust them to not bump into you like they do in Forza, but I got punted out of first place on three separate occasions on the last lap while up against the hardest AI, so I still haven’t won a race except when I pick medium AI. To help with close racing a part of the screen will go dark, to give off the feeling of a car being close by. It’s weird, but I like it.

On the good side, it runs at a solid 60fps with no stutters or tearing in full 1080p, so the feeling of speed is absolutely fantastic. It’s like a great mid-90s arcade game except you have to hit the brakes. The Dragon’s Tail circuit reminds me of Apricot Hill back when I was still learning that track; lots of crests and quick chicanes joined together by hyyyyyuuuuuge sweepers. So much fun! Plus while we all complain about the sewing machine sound effects, no other racing game has ever included such a rich tapestry of pops and machine gun sounds from the exhaust when you let off the throttle. It has been sorely missing in the past, and of you don’t believe they really sound like this, go watch a modern V10 formula one car. It’ll sound like Chinese New Year when it enters a corner, as do most non-turbocharged racing cars. Another fun race is the 1/2-mile oval against GT3 class cars. If you’ve ever raced on the Baby Park in Mario Kart, you’ll know what I mean. But, got punted out of first on the last lap…

Aside from the racing, the livery editor looks like it has a lot of potential. From my quick 10 minute look, it appears they’ve given us everything we get in Forza, but with a few really neat enhancements such as per-layer texturing, camera or surface based projection, different lighting environments so you don’t have to go to a track to see what it looks like out in the sun, and many more. I mentioned stickers before, and now there’s a huge library of manufacturer logos to choose from, so no more trying to make custom logos (except for Xbox ones, of course). They’ll even supply brand logos in different colours to suit different colour schemes as well. Very nice. I’ll be spending a lot of time there, I imagine.

So far I’m liking it, but to do so I’ve had to understand it’s caveats, of which there are many. It still has all the same old GT foibles, but can get away with many of them thanks to the rock solid presentation and satisfying driving mechanics. Do you remember the first time you nailed the first few roller coaster corners heading into the tunnel at Trial Mountain? This game might give you that feeling again.

Junior Potato
    A picture! I really quickly knocked up this livery on a Jag. Classy black. Note the window banner, which you can add in black or white.

And a video! Just, erm, ignore the first lap of the race. I restarted and got up to first place, then you’ll see what I mean about go-kart racing when I passed the Bryans and clumsy last-lap AI.

Last edited by Rare White Ape; October 9th, 2017 at 03:38 AM.

Just saw an advert for this on Twitch. Not sure, but I think I saw our favorite driver in said ad.

*Eagerly awaiting 6pm PST*

There was one thing in the build I played last year that really impressed me. Hoping that feeling made it to the final game. Have to wait until I get a PS4-compatible wheel to find that out, though.