Page 131 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131
Results 1,301 to 1,308 of 1308

Thread: Gran Turismo Sport

Junior Potato
    I just went from 17th to 9th in tonightís Nations Cup at Bands Hatch!

I had no prep, qualified poorly, then stuck to the plan. Start on hards, change to medium on lap 8, change to soft plus four laps worth of fuel on lap 12. Youíll still need to fuel conserve, otherwise you spend too long in the pits. Just let people past if theyíre faster than you.

I was driving the Lexus, everyone else was in a 911. There was some shoddy driving, and Iím sure I made up most of my spots simply because people couldnít stop spinning out. I was up to 6th before my second pit stop, came out in 11th. One guy gifted me a top ten when he dived the guy in 9th trying to pass into Westfield. Itís not a passing zone! Sent the poor dude flying and earned himself a 1 sec penalty. I just followed him because he was too dangerous to be behind me but I never got to see him serve his penalty because he spun out of my way at the same corner a lap later

I couldnít quite grab 8th, as I didnít want to dive bomb the guy too deeply, and 10th was breathing down my neck, plus I rolled along the finish line with 0% fuel less than 0.5 seconds behind him

These multi-tire condensed strategy races can sure be fun. It's the intensity of a sprint race with all kinds of strategies (tire choice, fuel use, drafting, guessing what compounds others are on, etc) thrown in.

We ran quite a different strategy. Although I probably would have started on hards, too, from 17th on the grid. In the World Tour events the conventional wisdom generally seems to be that the hards are a bad choice so if you have to run it run it as little as possible. My strategy was to start on Mediums, do at least 8 laps, then do 1 or 2 laps on Hards, then go to Softs to the end. I started I think 3rd in my race (in the Renault RS01 twichy lovely beast) and it was going well on Mediums, I was saving fuel well in the draft. Toward the end of my stint I hit the apex curb at Westfield just wrong and it hooked the back end into a near spin. I lost a few spots and toasted the LR tire in the process. Pitted shortly thereafter. The hards felt like they had no grip and I wanted to get off them at the end of one lap. Naturally a runner on Meds or Softs caught me going into the last corner. I thought he was too far back to go for a move so I didn't defend. He went for the move. Did the annoyingly typical bump or two on entry to unsettle my car and push me wide, so not only did he get the position (he would have gotten it easily a corner or two later) but I was prevented from pitting. Had to endure another lap on the Hards with cars catching me. Going towards Westfield on this lap a Beetle had a run and I wanted to discourage any moves this time, so I defended. He braked too late and pushed me off circuit. I lost a ton of time with this one, I think I was down to 14th or something. Pitted for Softs and came out without so much traffic and I started catching people. One guy was probably on Mediums, or maybe worn softs. I had pace on him but couldn't just drive around him. While following into Graham Hill I put the RR tire on the grass and around I went. That's one bad thing about the RS01, when it goes it goes quick. So yeah, that race had potential but ended up a disaster. I ran a second one...

Got a good qualy lap for this one and started 2nd. Again chose Mediums. The leader on Softs (in a 911) ran away in 1 lap so I had no draft (which is helpful for lap time and also fuel saving). Slowly over the 8-lap Medium stint I extended the gap to the car behind me and watched the leader pull away. He pitted on lap 6. This time I decided since I was out front and not battling, I'd run Softs in the middle stint to keep/gain track position. I also had the bright idea to not refuel in the first pit stop, and continue to save fuel on Softs and then see how much I'd need to put in for the final pit stop. This was all going well, I was catching the 911 leader in this second stint while he was on Mediums. Then I realized I would be at least 1 lap short on fuel to extend the Soft running as long as I wanted to. Crap! When I crossed the line with 1.4 laps of fuel remaining, I stopped fuel saving for that in-lap and caught right up to the leader. Surprisingly, he pitted as early as I did. I had to put more fuel in my car so he came out a couple seconds ahead, and I came out back in traffic among a few runners on a different strategy. Battled them for a lap or two and then they pitted with 1 lap to go for Hards. So back into 2nd place I was, but by this time the leader was in the distance. I kept pushing just in case someone might be coming up behind on Softs - nobody did, at least not near the front of the field. Pretty happy with a 2nd place. I think the RS01 is fast on one lap but it's really hard to keep the rear tyres underneath it for very long. I considered that my personal challenge. Looking back on that race, if I had done a couple of things differently I might have had a shot to at least battle the leader.

The359 was also in this race and from looking at the results it didn't appear to go smoothly. Definitely a tough track to be fast on (it's high risk in several spots), a tough track to pass cleanly on, and all those mixed up strategies probably made for a lot of 'altercations' on track.

Holding down 2nd: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gt7sp-prod/...71131152_0.jpg
    Please don't touch the grass, car, please don't! https://s3.amazonaws.com/gt7sp-prod/...26317584_0.jpg
    Trying to channel my inner Fernando : https://s3.amazonaws.com/gt7sp-prod/...18476824_0.jpg
    Found this livery for the next FIA Manufacturers race: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gt7sp-prod/...66604304_0.jpg
    Last edited by CudaMan; February 22nd, 2020 at 11:36 PM.

Junior Potato
    Yeah looking back on it I should've done four laps on the hard tyre to spend more time on faster rubber. I only did a one-shot as I wasn't keen on doing another.

If you're in the rear you have to start on hards, otherwise you're wasting fast rubber by being stuck in traffic. Not that you'd need to know eh

At the front of the grid there is a different choice: start on hard, try hold track position, pit early to clear traffic. Or start on soft, try and pull a gap, pit late, hope to stay in front. The first of those two lead to a situation where you're actively battling with others and trying to limit their advantage on softer tyres.

I knew that at the back there will be people on different strategies to myself, or the lead drivers pitting early and coming up through the field. I just let them past, knowing that I could waste my own time in a pointless fight with the added risk of being savagely rear-ended.

So many options! It's like chess, but at 200km/h!

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    That particular race was not good, I didn't qualify where I thought I would, tried a strategy but then fell off the track about 3 times all on my own, so came home well back in a very embarsassing last. The race before that I had screwed up qualifying, started last, and strategized myself to a great 8th place finish with a very clean run, was hoping to do better by qualifying further up, but it was not to be.

Final race I qualified 9th, had one quick spin, came home 8th, so managed to salvage something at least. Probably could have been 6th or so without the spin. I probably should have tried another car but I stuck with the Alfa Romeo the entire time.

My strategy from the back was 1 lap of Hard, 8 laps of Medium, 7 laps of Soft. The final race I did 9 laps of Medium, 1 lap of Hard, 6 laps of Soft.
    Last edited by The359; Yesterday at 08:03 AM.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I had a very good battle in my 2nd Manufacturer race at Fuji, I knew the Aston Martin was never going to be a race winner so I figured after surviving and coming out on top of this six car battle for 6th place, I had enough.

Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Those two passes around the outside were perfection. Nice!

I got busy this afternoon and entered my first race cold, not having practiced the online physics at Fuji yet. My plan was to use this race as my practice. Made a bit of a hash of qualifying, not unexpectedly, and started 12th. I was too far back entering the front straight to have the slipstream on my Q lap, and I braked too late for T1 anyway, falling even further out of the draft. In the race somehow I worked my way up to 6th though on-track passing more than strategy. It helped one guy punted another one off, so between the grass excursion for one and the 4s penalty for the other, that was two spots right there. Later in the race I was behind a couple Ferrari 458s and the trailing Ferrari gently bump-drafted the first Ferrari, which then received a 2-second penalty. Poor guy! That's a definite miss on the penalty system's algorithms. I have to say it made a lot more sense the way it was a year ago and prior. It's pretty weird now. Anyway there were 4 GT Academy guys in the race as I recall, which was awesome.

It was a high points race and I was reasonably happy moving up to 6th, so I debated whether to run again. In the end I decided I felt I could potentially qualify further up and maybe finish in the top 5 next race. So I went again. Qualifying was messy again - this time I was too close to the car in front of me starting my hotlap (he really slowed up in the last turn leading onto the straight) and I caught him in turn 3. Miraculously, he moved aside and let me have the line into the next corner. Minimal time lost, but I had already lost time in his dirty air and checking up for him. Turns out he wasn't terribly quick but was in the top split nonetheless. Rest of the lap was okay and I qualified 4th, just barely missing out on 3rd. Race starts and the 3rd place Benz is surprisingly slow through just a couple key corners (notably the backstretch kink on this Short configuration) and we lose the two leaders right away. On the second lap I pass the Mercedes and set off to catch the two lead cars - a Jag in 1st and another NSX in 2nd. By the time we pit on lap 7 I've pretty much caught them. Perhaps I could have done an undercut strategy but I played it safe on the length of my soft stint. We all pit together and I come out slightly further behind, not sure why (the replay is corrupt so I'll never know). It takes me a few corners too long to get up to speed on the Softs and I lose the draft. The leaders pull away. I get lonely on track. I make a mistake in the kink, getting massively sideways on entry, losing time and cooking the RR tire. As the laps begin to wind down I notice I'm catching the 2nd place NSX. He's fallen steadily back from the leader. As I reel him in I notice he's struggling with tires, and I catch him in the last lap. He defends well. I set him up in the final corners, he goes defensive into the last one, so I go wide and try to cut back with a better run (it's a long way to the finish line). He masterfully blocks off the apex and unwinds the wheel just as I decide to go left instead of right. I go way wide onto the astro-turf, keeping the throttle down, not caring if I get a penalty because 4th place is far behind. I don't get a penalty but I don't get the spot either. So close! Now if I hadn't made that mistake in the 2nd stint, or if I had qualified a few hundredths quicker to be ahead of the Mercedes from the off, 2nd place would have been more likely, and I might have even had a shot at the leader, who knows. That's how close the margins are and how perfect you have to be to win one of these things!

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    "Update coming next week. This year's updates are modest in frequency and volume."

Gearing up for GT7/GT8 i guess.

Junior Potato
    Yep everyone seems to be coming to the conclusion that they're winding down in preparation for PS5. What form that takes is yet to be revealed, but I hope for now it means they're working on full PS5 support for the current game until they're ready to start tackling the next iteration of GT. A rumoured GT7 could be years away and you don't want to lose the momentum of Sport Mode in the interim.

Like everyone else in the world, I have a personal laundry list I'd like to see, all of which are reasonable incusions:

Native (not checkerboard) 4K support
    Expanded VR support, to allow proper racing against full fields in single player and private lobbies (not Sport Mode, for the obvious advantages it would give in a competitive environment)
    Fullscreen replays without borders top and bottom
    Maybe a PS5 edition car pack with 2020 release year models and some tracks to mark the occasion, available to all players regardless of console

As I said, leaving Sport Mode alone and maintaining it's user base would be the key to keeping the game going, and the mild enhancements listed above would help propel it along for another 18-24 months.