Page 3 of 148 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo Sport

Yeah, the audio has always been shit, so I will believe that it's finally been worked on when I hear it.

But qualifying for real FIA licenses from within a videogame? Uh, okay, but we're not Bryan
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Junior Potato
    I'm sure that the sound got a workout after GT4. GT4 may have even had recorded sound, but it was still very synthetic.

GT1 and GT2 had MIDI sound for its engines, but we're just a varying tones of "rrrrrrrrrrrrr" in different pitches to match engine configs and revs. It also simulated your car, plus the two cars nearest to you on the track.

According to my cloudy memory, GT3 had the same setup, but simulated all 6 cars on the track. Big improvement… maybe.

GT4 shifted to sampled sound effects, rather than hardware-generated, but the system was very primitive. You could literally hear the steps where the samples switched over if you slowly increased your revs.

By this time Forza 2 was building itself an impressive array of live-recorded car sound effects, placed in a grand 3D surround sound stage. I still remember being impressed by my downshifts echoing off pit buildings in my rear surround speakers on the Xbox, something the PS2 very rarely did. The only true surround sound title I remember from the PS2 days was GTA Vice City, which had DTS 4.1 audio. No front-centre channel.

GT5 and 6 definitely improved the audio samples, but it's still very synthetic sounding stuff. None of it touches what games like Project CARS (which scares small animals) do today, or what Forza 2 did 10 years ago.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    In regard to the racing licenses, your gameplay can be used as a means to help you get your license, not simply get a license outright. And only in the 22 countries that have an agreement with the FIA and Gran Turismo so far.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Porsche! Give me a Spyder.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Porsche! Gimmie a Porsche!! I'll even take a crappy 924!!!

- Noticed in the latest vid (Audi around the much awesomer looking Willow Springs) than we now have 20 car fields. Not as much as Forzas and only four more than GT6, but it's still a decent amount really.
    - Tyre smoke is still pretty decent, and i think i noticed it moving not only sideways like it has since GT4 (?), but seemed to twist and spin like real smoke too?
    - Nurburgring looks much better, less view restricting (and likely processing saving) trees now.
    - Noticed during the Willow (?) race that the best lap of the race is shown up in the bottom left corner, and it wasn't that of the real person playing the game...
    - Sound has improved, but the Ferrari and Audi sound like road versions of those cars, not race versions. And even then they still aren't as 'loud' as Forza. Not getting my hopes up for the sound department. :/
    - Tyre sound has changed. But then again it changes with every game.
    - And the best thing yet, 5-6 or more New Zealand locations in photo mode!

Have pre-ordered the 'middle' edition, with the bonus cars or whatever, but not forking out $230 for the ultimate edition. That's crazy money.

But yeah, i too am worried about having to pay for decals with real money, or having some that only come with pre-orders or whatever. Hope they don't go down that path. I know Kaz has said he personally hates/doesn't like in game purchases with real money, so hopefully he won't implement it. In GT5 i think Sony pressured him into paying for DLC packs, but you notice everything was free in GT6...

I've been getting my driving fix lately from Forza Horizon 2, Forza 6 and Driveclub. Driveclub is the best looking of the three, but has bad car sounds (some sound honestly like cars from TOCA 2 - it's crazy). But in saying that, Horizon is pretty fun and good looking, and F6 isn't exactly bad looking either. They still have the best sounds, even though some are still off.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; May 22nd, 2016 at 10:22 PM.

Get that weak shit off my track

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Okay, i mostly retract my comment about bad sounds in GT Sport.

Supercharger whine!
    A range of blow off valve sounds in the Bugatti!

Junior Potato
    One thing I'd love to see is Polyphony getting rid of the fake cars like the LM editions and mixing them in with spec-classes. For instance, the thumbnail for the video above has a racing version of the FT-01 concept on a track with GT3 class cars. So that's fake upon fake upon fake.

And there's no obvious issue with them getting a licence for real go-karts, so the PD editions can go too.

Although I am fine with the old racing body system of fakery, which saw a brief return in GT5. That was great for creating good home-brew spec classes.

They have a fake Corvette GT3 car despite a real one existing. I presume they have some reason.
    Get that weak shit off my track

How can a game like this not have a paintbooth/livery editor like Forza? Boggles my mind and continues to allow me to ignore it. But oh wait, you can pay for stickers.

Go home Kaz, your drunk!