Page 32 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo Sport

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Long and detailed article about which game is slightly prettier than the other. *sigh*
    Yeah, that's what i said it was before posting the link. My point is there IS a place for nice looking racing games, for those who are after that experience over one that focuses more on realism/simulation and lots of content.

Personally i want to have fun in a game, i don't play them to get the most realistic experience possible, as it's more fun to actually do that in real life. And if it looks awesome then that helps the experience even more, for me. So i'll always lean more towards Forza/GT because of that - i don't like getting stressed out playing videogames, as its the opposite of why i play them.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; October 22nd, 2017 at 06:17 PM.

To be clear, your initial post only mentioned content (cars and tracks, presumably) when my issue is that the The Real Driving Simulator . . . isn't. I clicked hoping to help myself understand what it is that is precisely missing from this game as I can't quite put my finger on it. Instead it was just about polygon counts.

That's fine, but it's disingenious to act like you posted it to show why it's okay the game isn't a quality sim when you didn't make that point until after the fact.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    True, i couldn't really be bothered writing much when i posted that which doesn't help since people can't read my mind. In my initial post, the 'in the expense of content' was aimed at GT Sport. Good looking racing game was aimed mainly at it, but also at FM7, both of which is what the article was about. Silently compared them both to Project Cars 2, which doesn't look as pretty but has a lot more tracks and a 'more realistic' (apparently) sim racing feel. Probably shoulda put all that in the post too.

I don't have enough experience with GTS, or FM7 to ascertain whether they are good racing/driving sims or not, as i haven't played FM7 and have barely played GT Sport for more than half an hour. Maybe they, GT in particular, are good driving sims, but not a good racing sim like PC2?

Although from my short play of GT on release day, as someone else mentioned, the physics seem a bit stuffed at low speeds, as braking from around 40km/h to zero the cars just seem like they are braking on wet grass - takes WAY too long to stop, even on mid range sport tyres. I know i wasn't going as fast around the corners, but a little MX5 with sport hards in GTS seemed to have way less traction than my slightly more powerful non turbo Skyline which i took around a racetrack a week back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTbhnha4uY&t=8s

I do have good grippy tyres on my Skyline (which they say not to use in snow or ice), but still - the MX5 just felt way too slippery in the game. I went a lot faster around the twisty corners on the way back through Central Otago and never once heard the tyres squeal, or break traction.

So i think GT still doesn't have the low speed physics right.

That's what I mean, thanks. I mentioned it in chat that I was getting snap oversteer from lifting off the throttle of a fwd car, it's weird. The econo boxes feel like trying to race a Rolls Royce. It does get better with the faster cars.

Junior Potato
    Well that didn't take long. I entered my first online race (apart from the demo) and won.

Today I got home from Phillip Island and finally found time to turn on the PS4, thinking all I’d do was get up some distance to meet the daily workout. I chose to see what the daily Gr.3 race was and run some laps in qualifying. Nek minnit I’ve entered the race and qualified 2nd after pumping out a few ridiculous laps at Lago Maggiore - the sort of driving you do if you’re late to work. Looking confidently at the car in pole position, I thought to myself that I was going to bury this guy. I would pass him as quickly as possible and bury him.

And so I did. I was in first after a deep dive into the rollercoaster hairpin, and ahead by 1.5 seconds by the end of lap 1. By the end of lap five I’d almost caught up to 12th place.

Werd.

Junior Potato
    Oh and I did the daily workout and was awarded the TS030 LMP1. Pretty good session if you ask me.

hah, I saw that LMP1 spinning around and ended up with some Audi Group 4 car.

I did pick up the Corvette Group 4 car somewhere along the line.

I always end up with the dud car in the prize roulette. Except yesterday. Yesterday I got the Audi R18 and Audi R8 LMS GT3.

In racing games it's tough to get an accurate sense of speed. Perhaps with VR or triple monitors and 1:1 FOV, or whatever they call it, it's closer. But generally in racing games you don't get the proper sesne of how fast you're going. I did a scientific test in GT5 I think it was, gathering data from the real 370Z I raced and comparing it to a 370 I built in the game. The conclusion was the Racing tires in GT5 gave too much grip, particularly the Medium and Soft. I don't think any tire exists that can do what Racing Softs did in GT5. So on the flip side, less awesome tires in the game probably feel painfully slippery but are probably closer to realistic than we might think for street tires.

I haven't done any tests with GTS but I'm having fun with it. Last night I did the final 'license test' (I still call them that...) with the GT4 Cayman at Dragon Trail. Loved it! You can really drive and hustle that car. It was really rewarding. Ended up only running the 1 lap because it felt so intuitive and it was a big Gold, but I'll definitely be coming back to it.

The drift test with the Mustang was incredibly hard I thought! I was on the struggle bus for ~5 runs, until I got lucky and smashed it. I've done that in some other tests too, particularly rally.

Rallying continues to be impressing me. I'm not terribly good at it but I feel like the rally tests are teaching me some useful things that would apply to real life. When I get it right and watch the replay, it looks right in terms of what the car is doing where and how it's doing it. I figured out that on some cars/courses changing the center diff to transfer a little more power to the front wheels was helpful for me.

In other GTS news, I discovered a couple day ago that I have been playing with input lag. The throttle response seemed delayed, and sure enough with a brief test the OSD confirmed that. Then I remembered my TV has a Game mode. I've switched to that but haven't tested with the OSD yet.

I see also an option for more dynamic sounds. Need to test that as well.
    Last edited by CudaMan; October 23rd, 2017 at 09:53 AM.

I'm pretty awful at rally mode. I decided to stop trying to get golds in every single test and just start completing stuff. I have never driven the Dragon trail so it took my 2 tries to "pass" that one. The last rally one took me a few tries to pass as well. Moving on now to the other set of tests...where you have to beat other cars in short little tests. Seems easy so far but I want to unlock all the available content to see what tracks I'm missing etc.

I played PCars 1 for the last couple years and I will tell you it is a better simulator than GTS by a pretty good margin. Details through the wheel are much better and the sounds of the car (transmission noises etc) are much better. GTS just feels more numb...still fun to play (which is why I'm playing it), but definitely not as detailed in the physics dept.

If PD and SMS could get together...they could rule the world

Daily Workout free cars are THE BEST.