Page 40 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo Sport

I'm also starting to think that maybe the number you are assigned for the race corresponds to your driver ranking in that group. Similar to how iRacing does (used to do?) it. I was a fairly low ranked driver in this field (#14 I think?) and finished 2nd, netting me twice as many points as I got for a big win in a weaker race at Suzuka.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    So, my experience with the two championships was this after two nights. Entering, my rating was B for Driver and S for Sportsmanship. First night, the Nations Cup at the Driving Park, I set many practice laps with a Group 4 Viper but I knew I was about 2 seconds off the pace of the Top 10 worldwide times and everyone at the front was using the Alfa Romeo 4C. I jumped into the first available slot, and to my surprise I had at least five different guys who had Top 10 times in my group, including all of the Top 3. Since everyone was new to it all, I qualified but didn't hold back, just did my best to avoid people and get a good time. I believe I started 11th or 12th. Ran the race, the guys in front of me pulled away and the guys in back fell back with their own fights. Spent the first 7 laps going nowhere but keeping pace. Only through some mistakes from guys in front and people falling off track, I finish overall in 9th. 791 points for 9th place, and the next day I find myself 41st in the World and 33rd in the United States in the points standings.

Second night, at the oval, my practice laps are about .2 seconds off of the slowest guy in the Top 10, but everyone is using the VW Golf GTI VGT so we should all be on equal footing. I figure that's good enough, apparently if I'm close enough to the Top 10 then I will be in with the fast groups and gain a lot of points. Get in the first race, the 2nd fastest guy is in there as well as well as some other names I keep seeing in fast races. Qualifying is going to be good because it's not who can set the fastest lap, but who can get hooked up the best with a draft. Sportsmanship Rating goes right out the window because all anyone wants to do is bump draft to either tandem ahead of other people or because people don't want to ease off. Through sheer luck I managed to find myself hooked up with a Brazilian. I took provisional pole position, only for him to take the overall pole from me later on. So I'm starting 2nd, well ahead of faster guys. Turn 1, I brake early to try and just survive the corner, but the Brazilian does too and dives way too low and I have nowhere to go and I tap him into a spin and he's out of contention. I lose the lead but I'm still in the lead pack. Five of us break away from the group and we're just freight training away in a line, with only an Argentinian with a laggy connection causing issues. But it's all clean racing and we're not banging doors. Last lap, I've gotten myself firmly into second and pushing the guy in the lead. Everyone tries to make their move into the final corner, the Argentinian hits me from behind and pushes me ahead of the leader and I go on to take victory. 1400+ points for the win, so now I have no clue where I am going to be in the rankings. My S rating took a hit I'm sure from all the bump drafting, but I didn't drop down to A. My driver rating did however move up to A.

In the Manufacturers Cup race at Suzuka, again I'm doing decent and again I end up with a group of the fastest guys, but the Viper is just dog meat. I notice the variety of manufacturers seems to be spread pretty well in the group, although there are about 5 Porsches. I qualify 11th, start to make my way up as people fall off the track, but I lose the back end coming out of Turn 2 and slid into the wall, just so happened to hit a spot where it juts out and came to a dead stop. And no, the game will not reset you to the track in these races. I get myself going again, now 20th and last. I eventually make up a few positions as some other people fall off the track, but I think I finished 15th or 16th. 619 points for that finish. I'm well down the World order in about 313th place, but amongst Dodge I was 25th in points. Second night, Group 4 Viper at Interlagos, I'm in my usual spot of a few seconds off the Top 10. My group this time doesn't have any names I recognize from the Top 10, but I seem to be a more capable car this time around as the field is mostly Corvettes, Vipers, and the Citroen. Again, got lucky with drafting and qualified 3rd. Had a steady pace throughout, the Corvette behind me and passed me pretty uneventfully, but once again I basically held my position, incapable of catching the two guys in front of me and the two behind me fell back. Finished a steady 4th. I forgot to check my points from the race, but I'm curious if it will be more or less than my run at Suzuka.

Also, this was my Nations Cup car for the oval...
    Gran TurismoŽSPORT_20171105170023.jpg
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Junior Potato
    If true then something like that could be used for sandbagging.

But given that this game has had a long dev cycle and it’s tied to the FIA (in whatever capacity that really is) then hopefully that sort of cheating has been well and truly prevented.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    If true then something like that could be used for sandbagging.

But given that this game has had a long dev cycle and it’s tied to the FIA (in whatever capacity that really is) then hopefully that sort of cheating has been well and truly prevented.
    Do you mean by having a good driver intentionally setting a slow practice time? If you end up with a group of bad drivers and win, your points will only be about 100-200, so sandbagging in that way isn't going to help you when running with the top runners and finishing last likely nets you more points.

So, an update. Firat, it appears this is not a "World" standings as there is not a single European or Asian anywhere in the global standings, so they must have the cups broken into regions for this test.

Anyway, Nations Cup I am now 7th for the Americas with 2248 points, about 600 points behind the leader. In the United States I am 6th. In the Manufacturers Cup I am 29th in the Americas with 1474 points, about 1300 points behind the leader. 2nd for Dodge, and 800 points behind that leader.

Quote Originally Posted by The359 View Post
    And no, the game will not reset you to the track in these races. I get myself going again, now 20th and last. I eventually make up a few positions as some other people fall off the track, but I think I finished 15th or 16th. 619 points for that finish.
    Wow, the points seem even more heavily weighted towards SoF (or strength of driver?) than I thought. I got ~460 points at Suzuka for doing consistent 2:01 mids and winning by 10 seconds.

I think over time driver rating will start to sort itself out as each person plays more. But that still seems like a heavily weighted scoring system on the surface. Just getting your driver rating up to get into the top races is the way to get points in each race, it seems.

Also, the qualifying format is a pain only because the game starts everyone in a tight train. Not a big problem in real life. A big problem when virtual racers don't understand they need to gap themselves. I do like the short format, it's almost like Superpole. Just needs either fewer cars, more time, or an understanding by more drivers about how to manage the out lap.

Maybe spacing the cars out more would help, eliminate the drafting bonus and let everyone try it on pure pace.

Why did nobody tell me the Renault Sport RS01 was so fun to drive?

I also tried the cockpit view in that car, and I gotta say GT Sport does it really well now. I never could stand it in previous titles. Always seemed off to me. Now it actually gives me a better sense of the car's attitude, where the corners are, and I'm pretty sure I can even correct slides better with it. I might have to switch to cockpit view after years of using the bumper cam. Online racing will be hard with it, though, because I couldn't see the mirrors (VR would be amazing...).

Junior Potato
    Yeah I switch between cockpit and bumper cam. Cockpit is awesome for immersion in single player, especially in Project Cars. But for online mode I'm using bumper cam no matter what, as I'm much faster that way and I have a better awareness of what's around me.

Administrator
    For some reason, I just cannot do GT's cockpit view. I use cockpit view in every other sim, but GT's throws me off completely.