Page 58 of 148 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo Sport

Hah:

https://wccftech.com/uncharted-direc...rt-online/amp/

It’s rare to see developers openly criticizing each other’s work, particularly when they work for the same employer. In this instance, though, Naughty Dog’s Kurt Margenau (Co-Lead Designer of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and Game Director on the recent Uncharted: The Lost Legacy) just couldn’t refrain himself from slamming GT Sport’s online-only save system.

That’s right, even with the recent addition of a single player mode GT Sport can still be saved only when connected to the game’s servers, which are however once again down. Margenau wrote “Whose idea was this?” before making a couple joke in subsequent tweets, the first one dubbing GT Sport a “photo car shoot simulator” (hinting at the game’s Scapes mode) and the second one mentioning that the main obstacle to getting his new Xbox branded Fanatec wheel working in GT Sport is, well, the fact that with servers being down there’s not much point in playing the game.

Junior Potato
    I think he’s got more problems than the online only connectivity (which does suck) if he’s trying to connect an Xbox branded wheel to his PS4.

Just sayin’

I don't know how inclusive Sony tried to be. I know Forza on PC tried to include every controller made or something. You can play it with a DS4 if you want.

4 people have liked my Totoro paintjob for the LC500!

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I don't know how inclusive Sony tried to be. I know Forza on PC tried to include every controller made or something. You can play it with a DS4 if you want.
    Its pretty much not inclusive at all, on both sides of the blue/green divide. Eurogamer has a good article on it a while ago, which I link below:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...teering-wheels

The tldr version is that in order to maintain the “security and integrity” of their systems, both Sony and MS mandate that their peripherals operate in a closed system, and this is regulated by the inclusion of security chips in any 3rd party licensed hardware which talk to the consoles to allow access.

This means that even though a Logitech G29 is fundamentally the same as a G920 (bar a few minor differences), they will only work on the system who’s security chip resides on the circuit board. Interestingly the H-pattern shifter and pedals for those wheels are universal across platforms so… whatevs.

This doesn’t count for PC, though. Any attempt to mandate Xbox-only peripherals on the UWP would be looked upon not-quite favourably by the gaming public. And that’s a slight understatement.

Fanatec was smart about it. They made the wheel bases identical between the two systems, but included the security chip in the wheel rim, which can be swapped for PS4 or Xbox specific wheels. It’ll only cost you $1-200 to change your wheel, instead of many hundreds for the pricey full setup.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    What does everyone think of the car sounds in GT now?

Personally (having heard heaps and driven a few) i find the R32 GT-R sound to be the most accurate i've heard in any videogame ever. Modelling wise it has also never looked better in a game.

The Audi Quattro Group B rally car sounds freakin awesome especially at speed and with the 'echo' sound of it being away in the distance. Would drive it just to hear the sound.

But by far the best sounding car i've heard in the game so far, is that of the Ferrari F40. It sounds better/more realistic in GT Sport than any other game i've seen/driven it in including Forza, which usually has the best sounding cars. I really can't believe i just wrote that, as never expected GT's sounds to get this good, i'll be honest.

I spent a good few laps around Bathurst last night in the F40 just listening to it take off, cruise, idle, hit boost when accelerating and by far the most entertaining was the crackles/backfires etc when you decelerate - just like it does on the YouTube clips (could be a bit louder though).

I can see that car getting a lot of mileage until/unless something better sounding comes along.

Wifey and me also tried out the two player split screen last night and it is the sharpest most detailed 2P S/S i've ever seen in a racing game (well, it's not like many games have that feature though), it was great fun too. And it brings the return of a full screen replay, instead of split screen replay like a number of other GT's annoyingly used. And replays can be saved again - pics of my 390hp R32 GT-R vs. her 588hp Audi Group B coming soon...

Majority of the engine sounds are amazing. Some of the GT3 race cars are spot on perfect (Audi R8, Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S come to mind). The GT3 GT-R is not the right sound - I have a feeling a street car with an aftermarket exhaust was sampled instead. The race car has individual side exhausts and sounds much different.

Overall though I'm very pleased with this aspect of GT Sport, and I think it's the largest leap forward the franchise made in the transition from past titles to GT Sport. Even in replays the sound effects and immersion are amazeballs.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Right on the limits of traction most of the race, great fun.
    And on the last lap it may look like i was trying to take the 911 out, but i was actually just trying to figure out where he was, as well as try to get the car back under control.

I actually restarted this race maybe ten times or more, just to have it as clean as possible. Too much contact with other cars in previous attempts (because the F40 is a handful...).
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; December 27th, 2017 at 04:32 PM.

I love running laps in VR, limited as the mode may be, its insanely fun to "feel" like youre inside some of these cars.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    Video
    As good as the latest 911 GT3 RS is, it’s got nothing on the F40 for sheer spectacle.

Look at that body shape; a pure 1980s facia, followed up by a wedge that tapers outwards as it attempts to contain the engine and massive rear hoops, topped of by the lewdest wing on this side of a Gundam manga.

Fantastic.