Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK/Ireland Trip

UK/Ireland Trip

My lady and I are planning a trip for next May. We want to burn up some of my United miles, and it looks like a decent deal to fly from LAX to Dublin on Aer Lingus. My remaining mileage balance puts us in business class on the way out, and economy on the way back. Since the planes are A330s with 2+4+2 seating, economy is not a hardship on the way back.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. We're going to be in for about 10 days. What I'm curious about is what can realistically be fit in, in that amount of time, without feeling incredibly rushed.

We were thinking making a loop from Dublin/Liverpool/Manchester/Edinburgh/Glasgow/Belfast/Dublin, but we're only just starting to look at what all there might be to do. Also not sure about how to get around - I lean toward trains, but if there are a lot of things we'd want to see out in the sticks, I'm guessing we should rent a car.

Lemme put you in touch with a travel guide friend of mine, who just happens to be touring Scotland right now.

PS. In for pics of the lady.

Timely. Considering doing the same about the same time for the same reason (well, it'll be BA miles, but whatevs). Just trying to find a way to move it to around, say, the end of June so that a certain festival might be attended. Just not sure if I can scrunch two trips in one year much less two trips close together (we are all set for a makeup Burning Man) or that I can convince my companion to burn her first trip overseas on cars.

Last time I went I rented a car. Although relatively expensive to drive, it was cheap to rent and nice never being on someone else's time table or having to work out transportation if we saw something interesting. Fully planning to do that again. It was fun telling people in London plans to drive to Glasgow. It's so far!

ps. if you go through Manchester, make sure to look up Paul Cliff (skiddo). AlanP and Ali are in Scotland, though I am a lame American and don;t recall exactly where.
    Whoomah!

10 days for 6 cities? That's pushing it, isnt't it? When we visited California we spent 2 days in SF, 2 in Sonoma and then 1 getting down to Paso Robles, with 2 there and 1 night back in SF. Sure, the distances are greater, but why not stay a bit more in say 3-4 cities instead?

As for which ones, Scotland - in particular Edinburgh - I highly recommend. Glasgow city itself isn't terribly inspiring, so I'd probably use that as a base and spend the time there at the Lochs.

Also, speaking as someone who spent all his time in the South, there's probably not much difference between Liverpool and Manchester. They even both produce well-known football teams and rock/pop bands, although I do have an impression of Manchester having a better nightlife and entertainment scene than Liverpool.

Why does it matter how long you stay in one place?

As someone who recently visited Dublin for the first time, I wasn't particularly taken with the place. Short of the Guinness factory, there's not a great deal to do, but loads of 'Irish' Irish pubs, if that's your thing. I think you can probably knock it off in the afternoon.

As for the rest of your destinations; it's grim opp norf. ;D
    Trains between big cities are useful, but unless booked in advance can be quite expensive. But then you'll see the price of our petrol and weep anyway. Liverpool or Manchester. I've not been to Liverpool, but have been to Manchester. Big city, stuff to see and do. Not sure there's a great deal of difference on the face of it, but unless there's something specific you want to see in either.

I'd go to Newcastle above either, if you want to do a Northern English city.

More than one day in a place is required to chill out and properly absorb/see stuff. I wouldn't want to do "NO in a day", or for that matter, most cities in a day. Any city or area that can be really properly and fully "done in a day" probably isn't worth the time tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Since the planes are A330s with 2+4+2 seating, economy is not a hardship on the way back.
    Like fuck it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    More than one day in a place is required to chill out and properly absorb/see stuff. I wouldn't want to do "NO in a day", or for that matter, most cities in a day. Any city or area that can be really properly and fully "done in a day" probably isn't worth the time tbh.
    I absolutely agree. You need to spend some time, relax into an area, wander the streets, visit a few cafes, pubs, bars, restaurants. One of the most important lessons I've learnt when travelling is to always plan as if you're coming back, that way you don't feel the urge to bus tour it. Personally I'd be doing 4-5 days in London and then do 2 or at most 3 other places for the rest of the time

Oh, and plan your trip for Goodwood festival of speed or Goodwood revival because they are fucking awesome.

well it IS a hardship but not as much as if we had to sit next to other people. I only have enough United miles to do business one way.

I've got a big chunk of Delta miles, but I'm saving those for either a Pacific trip or Frannce or Italy.

As for Goodwood... the timing of this trip might be stuck in May for... reasons.