Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK/Ireland Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Lemme put you in touch with a travel guide friend of mine, who just happens to be touring Scotland right now.
    So, this didn't work out. Ah well...
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Flyertalk.com is a good place to start.
    I will check it out. Continuing to accumulate miles is ridiculous. I've gotta use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    So, this didn't work out. Ah well...
    Yep, not a peep. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Last there I did a big loop, London - something in Wales (maybe Swansea?) - Birmingham and back and saw everything I wanted to see in the middle including Bath and Stratford upon Avon. It was a nice tour of the southern UK with plenty of city and plenty of country and plenty of B roads. And the M4. I didn't feel the need to plan multiple days in any particular location, though I generally don't plan at all, so if I ended up somewhere for two hours or two days that was cool. I knew I was going to be in London twice for planes, but everything in the middle was up for negotiation.

When travelling, if I feel like it's time to leave, or something in an adjacent town catches my eye, I go there. If I miss something or want more time in a place, there is always next time. For me, vacations are not about agendas, they're about doing what I want when I want. "You must spend four days in London going to bars" sounds like work. "Ooooh, shiny, let's go there" is how I roll on my own time. That's how you end up in a 22' 50 year old Cadillac with no roof in Zion National Park, or eating four times at the worst restaurant on the planet in a broken down industrial town in upstate New York. Good times.

In this case, the UK isn't going anywhere, so whether you spend a week in London in one trip or a week in London across seven trips, you've seen the same amount of London. Do what feels right, change it up next time.
    Bolded is me in a nutshell.

Speaking as someone who just spent seven weeks in the UK, and someone who has gotten around a little bit, my philosophy is "no budget no timetable, no schedule." The way I see it, I can always make more money, i can't make more time, especially to come back and see something i missed because it wasn't on the schedule and i was doggedly following the schedule.

Book travel in advance to save money.
    Public transport in the UK is great, IF.... you're travelling to, from, or within London. Rent a car if you're going A-B and London is neither.
    Diesels get ridiculous fuel economy with a steady foot (i rarely use cruise control) and low speeds. Low speeds because speed cameras.
    There are a million more signs for speed cameras than there are signs indicating the actual speed limit.
    Roads are narrow (old towns and cities,) and parking is limited. There are cars parked on the street, obstructing the lane. Drivers are generally very good.
    Pricing for everything is comparable with stuff here, except it's in pounds, so you're effectively paying 50% more.
    Fish and chips come in huge portions.
    Agents in the tube and train stations generally know their shit.
    Trains are jam packed during commuter hours. You're stuffed in there.
    If you're going to another city from London, there are high speed trains with only a few stops, and regular trains which stop at every stop.
    Driving during daytime in London in the week incurs a congestion charge.
    Peak travel train tickets also cost more.
    Oyster cards are only for travel within greater London, zone 1-6. Go outside the zone using one and you'll incur a 20 pound penalty. Even if no one told you. Even if you don't live in London. Even if you're an American. Don't ask me how I know...
    Arsenal games are almost impossible to get into. Best to try the Champions league games than EPL.
    DO NOT buy 3 cell service. It's the one that's at Heathrow as you exit.
    Do use What'sUp, Viber, Facetime and texting etc as much as possible. Calling overseas numbers will devour your minutes.
    Either get a shit tone of cash out of the ATM right away and use that, or immediately get a preloaded credit card and use that. Foriegn transaction fees will add up quickly.
    The little villages and towns are beyond beautiful. Very scenic. Very tranquil.
    Stay on the right on escalators if you're not in a hurry.
    People don't yell into their phones everywhere like here in the US. Bus, train, restaurant, open spaces. It was very refreshing.
    There is a ton of bicycle commuting. Boris bikes/ bike sharing is big in London with docks and bikes everywhere. I didn't pay attention in other places.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Bolded is me in a nutshell.
    DO NOT buy 3 cell service. It's the one that's at Heathrow as you exit.
    Do use What'sUp, Viber, Facetime and texting etc as much as possible. Calling overseas numbers will devour your minutes.
    AT&T has reasonable foreign rates, FWIW. I've never been able to use up their $120 package, and I get to keep my own number. Not *quite* as cheap some of the other options, but it means not worrying, which I am all about.

Either get a shit tone of cash out of the ATM right away and use that, or immediately get a preloaded credit card and use that. Foriegn transaction fees will add up quickly.
    Or, use a card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees. For example, Chase Sapphire. Great card!

Public transport in any big city (not just London) is perfectly satisfactory. Hire a little eco-box, or something bigger booked [b]well[b] in advanced, and it'll be cost effective driving about for going between stuff. Yes, as someone who commutes into London everyday from outside of it, there is commuter etiquette, but you're foreign and on holiday - like you care. Do what you want, what speed/direction you want - everyone will tut but work around you. Tubes are rammed all day, line dependent. Trains at peak times are - well, it's a tin of sardines. However, I work right next to the Thames, opposite St Pauls and 5 mins from the Shard/London Bridge. It's worth the effort each day.

Not sure about the roads being thin. UK hasn't as much space as the US, so, obviously, everything is cosier. Unless you're going down a single track road in the middle of a field you can get a lorry/bus each way down most stuff here, so a car is not a problem.

Agreed about villages. They are very pretty. Which is why I moved to one

Download the www.nationalrail.co.uk app on your phone when you're here. All you'll need for UK train/tube travel info/times/etc.

Edinburgh and northern Scotland are the best, highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Although slightly OT, this thread got me thinking about points/miles/whatever. I have an enormous amount of them (I don't take a lot of vacations... ) and I am trying to figure out the most economical way to use them. Between tiered award flights and bizarre airline alliances I am having a hard time feeling confident about what I am doing. I've been reading thepointsguy.com off and on for a while, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations for other places.

By way of example of what I am talking about, I have 160,000 CUR points, which is good for an equal number of miles on many airlines... I could transfer them to United and fly roundtrip to Hawaii for 50,000 miles, OR I could transfer them to British Airways and use their travel partner Alaska Airlines and do the same trip for 25,000 miles. It's a huge difference! It's totally possible these ridiculous machinations are more or less random, but I am wondering if there is rhyme or reason. When I'm talking about booking more expensive flights to a far away place, it would be nice to use less miles or have nicer seats than the opposite. I just find it impossible to feel comfortable in "the right answer."
    How One Traveler Took a $60,000 First Class Trip Around the World for $300

I read that not that long ago - it was linked from thepointsguy.com, which I check out semi-regularly. The crazy maneuverings of airlines with their miles programs is unreal! If I traveled more, I might have a better understanding of what is desirable and what's not. I'm just completely out of touch on the pieces in play.

I've thought about calling a travel agent as I would think they'd understand all the things, but calling someone to do something the internet does for you feels backwards. I am having a hard time getting over that notion.

Yeah, they seem kind of out-dated. But, I could see how they'd be useful if you wanted to have a fully planned itinerary, and not have to coordinate all of the pieces. Especially if you were going to a place where they spoke a different language.