Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just. What.

The DA (who is a widely respected person) is saying that in any situation where a suspect has run it is policy to draw your weapon as the officer did. From a rules perspective, he did the right thing. It is also policy to fire two shots, and the officer only fired one which suggests (to the DA) it was an accidental discharge and not intentional. I think that is further supported by the fact that after the gun goes off, he holsters it rather than keeping it on the situation - he doesn't trust it anymore.

However, he doesn't appear jarred from the shot, nor does his demeanor change. And he waited a long damn time to report the shooting after it happened. And he does not appear to announce himself or give the guy any orders but later announced the dude he shot in the neck "refuses to get out."

All very odd. Pretty sure this is going to end in a lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    That's what I've been thinking too. This is probably just how it's been all along... But, 20 years ago, we wouldn't have any video footage to get upset about.

And we just heard it was an accident. Oh, okay. Wouldn't even have made the news.
    A lot of these used to (and still do to an extent) get reported as 'single shot' or 'self defense', and then we see video where it's neither. Video is starting to hold the people who are supposed to protect us accountable. It'll be painful for a while, seeing this stuff, but hopefully these incidents will lessen over time with the increased oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Pretty sure this is going to end in a lawsuit.
    I was right. We're filing it.

Junior Potato
    And this, kids, is why police car chases are a bad thing, too. Not just guns.

Straya doesn't have the gun problem that Murica has, but we've certainly got the police chase problem. So many times you see a news report of a police chase with a fatal crash containing the line, "Police called off the pursuit moments before the crash."

Instead of chasing, why not let the suspect get away and follow from a safe distance, or even not chase at all and work it out later? Reduce the overall speeds from stupidly dangerous down to just a wee bit dodgy and see how it goes. Reduce the immediate risk if ther eis no immediate danger to other people.

Almost midnight and nobody on the road. My line of thinking would have turned the example in the video into maybe a stupid drive home by one drunk guy at 23:58, he would've gotten home at 00:05 with a wife less dead than her current state, and he'd be able to walk - best case scenario. At worst, maybe run into a parked car or a letterbox. He'd be looking at just a DUI, not vehicular manslaughter and missing his own beloved wife's funeral.

I don't think it was a chase. The cop was miles behind the drunk and he didn't hit the berries until the guy was in view, down the road. The crash happened because Captain Intoxicated was speeding with his lights off and he hit a median/planter. The crash is on Thomas - getting shot in the neck probably not.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Yeah. It didn't look like a chase to me either.

Cops around here don't do the high speed chases much anymore. They call a helicopter to chase and the cars back off or try to get ahead of the idiot.

Fwiw Florida has a no chase policy for motorcycles. A Trooper died due to a 100mph+ tire blowout.

now its a picture of the plate and a visit to the home i guess. Not sure how that works though.