Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compare mobile devices for this luddite

Compare mobile devices for this luddite

I've been using an eleven-year-old, pre-paid, dumb phone for years now. It has worked for me just fine, as I do not talk on the phone much. However, I've finally made the decision to join the 21st century and get a smart phone. Would someone in the know please give me a concise, impartial run-down on the currently available technology and the pros and cons of each. (iPhone, Android, etc.)

In general:
    iPhone
    - Better app selection than competition
    - Less customization/choice in software and hardware than competition
    - More consistent performance/hardware
    - Camera returns arguably better results in full automatic mode than competition

Android
    - Nearly the same app selection as iPhone, though sometimes you'll wait a month or more
    - Hardware and software variability leads to choice but also compatibility issues with apps and updates
    - Research is needed to find the capabilities/quirks/value of each model
    - A few models have cameras that can rival iPhone in automatic mode and beat it with manual/scene adjustments

Windows Phone
    - Lagging in app selection
    - Now has closer relation to Windows 10, leading to some benefits in apps and features and potentially more in the future
    - Lumia models have cameras that can likely rival iPhone in automatic mode and beat it with manual/scene adjustments

TLDR:
    iPhone = Easy choice
    Android = Willing to do a little due diligence to pick the right one for potentially better prices or more features
    Windows Phone = Scrappy outsider that does things differently and is worth considering
    Get that weak shit off my track

Excellent. Thank you. Other opinions are welcome, of course.

I would second all of that, *maybe* add:

iPhone
    - UI is really mired in eight years ago which result in some usability, um, annoyances. If all you use it iOS it will never affect you, but if you jump into iOS from Android or Windows, you may find some things take longer to do
    - There have been some real stinker hardware releases (Home button on the 4, gyro on the 4S come to mind), but the 6/6S seem to be quite solid so assuming you're buying it new this won't affect you
    - Resale is stellar, so if you want to trade phones out often it's the best investment

Android
    - Some potential for malware, since Google doesn't police Play like Apple does the App Store
    - Buying a carrier-locked phone can be an annoyance if your carrier decides to stop supporting it
    - Resale is awful, so if you're buying used Android is the obvious choice.

Windows
    - App selection is *so bad* but most of the SRSBSNS stuff is available in some form or another. Like, there is no Discover card app, but there is a Chase card app. There is no Lyft app, but there is Uber.

Really, that TLDR is spot on IMHO.

Excellent advice. Thank you gentlemen.

Dude.

You disappoint me.

After the zombie apocalypse and governments shatter and the world is left in chaos and disorder, when every day is just another fight to survive, George will still be the only guy with a flip phone.

One other minor thing which can be either a plus or minus depending on your personal views and situation -
    iPhone is sort of the standard, pretty much. This means that if something goes wrong with it, or its not doing something you want it to, 3/5 people you see on the street will either be able to fix it, or tell you its unfixable.
    Conversely, if you've got an android phone, you can tell people, "Oh, I've got android," when you don't want to engage in checking out their app, or being asked if you can fix their phone.
    -Formerly Stabulator

I am impressed by this small community's ability to deliver quality, online content.

At least George will have decent battery life!

The summaries above are spot-on. If you do go Android, for lower cost models I'd get a Oneplus One (not the Two) or a Nexus 5X, more likely the latter. If you go for higher end models, probably the Nexus 6P. It's important to ensure that you have a lot of storage on Android, so I'd go for something which has at least 32gb of space.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; December 17th, 2015 at 05:57 PM.