Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tDCS

tDCS

What do you guys think about it? It's sad that we don't know enough about the brain to be able to tell if it's truly beneficial and above all safe, because it seems like it could carry some real promise.

Recreational ECT? Let's do it.

No, it's much much less current than ECT.

ECT is intended to induce a seizure, and it's higher voltage and about 600 milliamps. tDCS is between 0.5 and 2 milliamps.

Less equipment, less current = less supervision = recreational?

Saying these are the same thing is like saying a pillow fight is the same thing as an MMA match.

Junior Potato
    My go-to site for this sort of question seems to be www.sciencebasedmedicine.org and they happen to have something brief on this from 2013:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...or-the-masses/

Summary: it's not well researched but generally safe. What research is available shows mixed results, so more research is needed. But be weary of the usual lineup of companies who are eager to sell this to you while making claims that they can't back up.

Seems to me like it hasn't been able to transcend the most basic pseudoscientific claims of it's proponents, so right now it's money out of your pocket for little to no reward. I'd ignore it. Plus the fact that psychologists aren't all over it raises alarm bells for me.

I remember when they sold this technology to BULK UP YOUR ABS.

I just recently read a review of one of those electric ab stimulator things that said they work, but not how they're advertised to work (aka "from flab to abs with no exercise!"). They're not going to give you a flat stomach or get rid of your love handles, they just stimulate your ab muscles enough for them to be stronger. You won't see any difference unless you've already gotten rid of everything on top of it.

Also, unsurprisingly, it's a rather unpleasant experience.
    Get that weak shit off my track

tsg, can we at least agree that a muscle tends to function slightly differently from the brain?

Also, I wouldn't spend tons of cash on any of these fancy commercial products. I would just build my own, as there are many plans for this online.

Now, just to stem off the whole "OMG you're even stupider if you'd build one of these yourself" talk, let me point out two things:

A) No one really knows how this shit works, so any company claiming to make a device superior to another one really has no clue.

B) I would much rather trust my brain to something I personally built and understand the workings of, rather than some magic box that I have no idea about.

This sounds like the origin story of a Batman villain.
    Get that weak shit off my track