Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is here......almost

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    4 LY43

Also, one of the other good things about normal monitors is that you can, you know, watch many different things at the same time in different Windows.
    Cool

Junior Potato
    I feel it would be a relevant discussion if the act of performing productivity tasks could be presented in an immersive, 3D environment with high definition graphics and next-generation spatial audio, to make it really feel like you were really in an office.

The kind of experience you would only be able to get in VR. Or a real office.

Administrator
    "Office" That's a word I have not heard in a very long time...

Then you obviously haven't been visiting the right sites.

Junior Potato
    I just ordered a Rift S.

It arrives one day before Star Wars Squadrons come out.

Me happy.

Is naiiiccee

Junior Potato
    Well my Rift arrived today, three days earlier than expected.

Super-duper early impressions, well, my impression as soon as I opened the box was that it’s of a much more premium quality than PlayStation VR. More sturdy construction but somehow a lot lighter.

The inside-out tracking is great. Again, much better than PSVR, which loses sight if you’re too far way from the camera. The Rift S doesn't need anything base stations so it’s super easy to set up. Plus you can do that funky thing where you ‘paint’ your safe zone, and it also means you don’t have to stand in a specific part of the house. I’ve got a much more spacious area a few meters to the side of the TV than I do right in front of it, which I plan to use when I start playing Vader Immortal and HL: Alyx.

I’ve got no worries at all playing Assetto Corsa in VR as it runs smooth as silk. But the first piece of software I fired up was Fantasynth, which is a free tech demo music thing available on Steam. The image quality is absolutely outstanding when compared to PSVR. Both the crispness of the screens and the rendering of materials in the graphics engine are amazing.

But then again the Rift S is twice the price of PSVR and it’s hooked up to a 2070.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; September 28th, 2020 at 12:27 PM.

Junior Potato
    For three days I’ve been playing Outer Wilds. I looked up mods for the game and yep there’s a VR mod.

Me ded. The game is 100% up my alley (exploration and puzzles in a mini solar system with simulated gravity fields and seamless travel between planets) and flying my space rocket lander thingy in VR is simply wonderful.

The controls are taking some getting used to, as the mod developer adapted the normal game pad controls to use the wireless motion controls, complete with floating three-fingered alien hands in front of you. But once you’re up and running, the chaos and fear of a close encounter with flying pieces of space debris is astounding.

So there’s this, Flight Simulator, Tetris Effect just had its VR update on Game Pass, HL: Alyx, Squadrons… there’s a GTAV VR mod I’ve been wanting to try, the list goes on and on. VR might still not be mainstream yet but it’s fast becoming an essential piece of gaming equipment for me.

I find watching race streams where the streamers are using VR to be disturbing.

Junior Potato
    Ironically it is a Jimmy Broadbent video where he played Project CARS 2 in VR that got me into VR and back into sim racing in a big way.

The discomfort you feel while watching these videos is most likely down to you not being in the headset. In real life your eyes automatically account for the wobble of your head while you talk, and it's the same when you're in VR.

But watching a recorded video feed from a VR headset doesn't allow your eyes to do its automatic smoothing thing. It's just like strapping a cheap action camera to your skull and trying to watch the video back on a screen: all jittery.

I'm not going to try and convince you that VR is a must-have, but if you ever get the chance to give it a go then definitely put a headset on and see if it works for you.