Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is here......almost

Administrator
    It sounds like they're claiming that it doesn't need any more PC than the Rift does. I do like that there's a higher end option, though I'm trying to tell if I think it's ~2.5x better than the Rift to match the price increase.

High end phones are not 2.5x better than lower grade phones.

Same with premium cars.

Premium cost just get you the little bit of extra oompf at the higher end.

Junior Potato
    Tested review of Rift S

Administrator
    Woot, happy to find out that holding out for Tetris Effect on Oculus has paid off. https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/16/...or-pc-july-23/

Ugh, did just see that it's only through the Epic game store. Meh.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; July 17th, 2019 at 02:38 PM.

Junior Potato
    Worth it tho

Keith posted, in chat, a product from a UK company. They've taken the bits of an Oculus Rift and integrated it into a proper Arai racing helmet. It's at www.helmetvr.com but I can't access it at work to pull a picture.

It seems kind of gimmicky at first; but I'd love to have a Rift setup where I could simply slide the headset on and off my face like that whenever I want. Perfect for iRacing where everything not on-track is browser based.

I can't see how it would get close enough to your eyes to fully work, though.

Administrator
    I've only played through that first three-round level of Tetris Effect on the Rift. It's cool, but at this point I'm kinda feeling like Rez already ruined me on this.

Administrator
    Got through all the rounds on Tetris Effect on the Rift. Still kinda feeling the same way, but part of it might be that Tetris demands some pretty intense attention, so I feel like I miss most of the atmosphere. There were a few levels that were pretty cool, but mostly it was just background imagery that I never had any time to actually take in.

It did get me to thinking about Rez again, and very much enjoyed playing through that again.

Didn't get the hype around Tetris Effect either, tried the demo on PSVR which had a few levels of the campaign and one of the other modes. Tetris with a fancy soundtrack was my take.

Administrator
    Yeah. I like the idea of the cool visuals, but then the game throws crazy fast stuff at you sometimes just for the fun of it, which makes it hard to enjoy the visuals. I specifically remember the space station one being really neat, but it was one of the ones where I took the time to just let a piece fall slowly and ignore the game for a bit. Doesn't help that you don't get as good of a "grade" when you do that.

I prefer Tetris 99 on the Switch as Tetris experiences go. I'd like to see something like Tetris Effect but with a game that isn't speed/time based. Give me online backgammon with fucking awesome VR environments and I will just demand you take my money.