Thread: Windows 10 as a server v Other UNIX (free or not) Stuff

Windows 10 as a server v Other UNIX (free or not) Stuff

I have a new 13700K as replacement desktop. My old 6700K can be used as a server and it has a Win10 Pro licence. It also has 32GB RAM and I have an SSD with which I can experiment on. The 6500 (also with 32GB RAM and 4 x 6TGB HDD) is already a home server running Win10 Pro using Windows Storage Spaces in the RAID0 equivalent. I don't remember if I have set up a RAMdisk on the latter but I think I may have.

The question is whether there is any advantage of my trying out something else on the 6700K, such as Unraid (need to pay)? Ubuntu? Proxmox? FreeNAS?

At present the only thing I can think of is that there are issues logging into a Win10 "server" to administer it or even transfer files etc. using Remote Desktop Protocol and a Microsoft account. There are ways around it but it's a real faff, and I don't remember what the solution is after I got my new 13700K, so I have ended up creating a local account and using that to log into that instead.

I don't actually need another server. So I guess I might learn something else new/fun? Not that I really have time. I mean, I have a Raspberry Pi 3, a Raspberry Pi 4 400 (both bought during COVID), and an i5-4570S (old HTPC but in ITX case) sitting around doing nothing. So it's not like I am actually short of computers or stuff to experiment on and/or use as "servers", even if some of them are a bit slow.

Junior Potato
    Why not just be a good dude and run a no password 24/7 Counter-Strike server on it?

Why would that make me a good dude?

Administrator
    If you don't need the server, keeping it Windows 10 seems no different than just tossing it out. Putting something different on there like Mint or Ubuntu would at least give you the option to use it as something to learn something from.

Then again, WSL has gotten good enough that running Ubuntu on a Windows desktop is a viable option. The only big problem I've run into is you can't use bpf tools on the virtual kernel running on Windows, but I've been using/working with Linux for 26 years and have never actually had a requirement to start poking around with bpf.

Good points dose. Maybe i will stick one distro on the htpc and Ubuntu WSL on the 6700. The hardware is old enough on both such that I assume I won't have any issues.