Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is here......almost

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Virtual reality is here......almost

Anyone else order CV1 of the rift or am I going to be pioneering the waters for good folk of the GTX? Delivery currently estimated to be sometime in April. To amuse myself in the mean time I've been having a good laugh at all the people acting as though a) Oculus killed their first born and b) that the HTC Vive is going to be their saviour (cheaper)
    Last edited by stephenb; January 7th, 2016 at 01:27 PM.

I've ordered, but I'll only have it in June.

As for those guys, yeah. HTC haven't exactly been on top form recently. It does make more sense to wait, but then again, it almost always does.

What's all the noise about the Oculus? I don't understand?

The co had said they'd wanted or estimated a price of $350. Actual price ended up being $600. People got butthurt.

Ah... I don't know how to gauge the price on something like that, but it doesn't seem ridiculous to me.. I assume it's two high quality screens a bunch of computer hardware, and limited production all in one making the price that high?

Probably the first few things you mentioned, not sure about the last. IDGAF what those guys think, this is meant to be leading edge technology and a lot of work has come into it. They might say they scrimped and saved to get a high end PC that can run it and it's "unfair" that it doesn't now fit onto their budget, but in that case they should probably take up another hobby, or wait.

YW Perhaps we can catch a film together when you get yours? Quite looking forward to see what other uses and experiences this can be put to use on.

Oh, you can do that? I suppose it's possible, although the time difference may cause some issues. Still, I'm sure we can manage that.

For the record, I agree with:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...lus-rift-price

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/07/t...t-iphone-cost/

Most of those whiners are probably fucking entitled loudmouth losers with no life. Put up or shut up, mofos.

Part of the "problem" was that at least one the development kits was $350, furthering the notion that the final product could/would hit that price. The guy had actually said in an interview previously (I assume near the beginning of development) that $600 specifically was too much for consumers, so when it came out at $600, there was backlash. He apologized and admitted they should have done a better job preparing people for it.

http://www.geek.com/games/palmer-luc...price-1644060/

Edit: Found interview from 2013 with $600 quote - http://allthingsd.com/20130606/oculu...s-qa-part-one/

Luckey: I’m one of the few people where it’s different. I would spend whatever it was. Gamers are not known to be the most affluent population of people. If something’s even $600, it doesn’t matter how good it is, how great of an experience it is — if they just can’t afford it, then it really might as well not exist. We’re going for the mainstream, but time will tell what the market is.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; January 8th, 2016 at 04:31 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Don't care. New shit is expensive. If gaming in VR is THAT important to them then they'll find a way to make it work. If they can't, then maybe they should re-evaluate their priorities in life.