Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is here......almost

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The one thing I want is one with an integrated camera on the front that you can activate by hitting a button somewhere. It'd be really nice to be able to see what's happening around you without having to take the headset off, sometimes you just want to figure out what you're bumping into and how to stop doing that.
    The S actually does have passthrough, like the Vive Pro, which I didn't mention, and is kinda important, to some the most important new feature.

I will keep with my Rift unless the resolution and SDE is reported as being substantially better. Even then, as Swerv said, the inability to adjust the lenses might be rough since I have a giant head.

Junior Potato
    Tested went to the Rift S announcement. There's a bit of good info here, though not a lot of hands-on content.

For those wanting a pricier 'Rift 2' to come out, there was there merest hint in the interview that there could be an announcement in the pipeline. If a Rift 2 was to be a reality, I'd imagine that it would have a 4K screen, mechanical lens adjustment (for Nate's big head), and outside-in tracking like the old setup, unless of course they're using the Rift S as a test case for improved inside-out tracking. It's definitely less costly to develop that sort of tracking system than it is to use the old style and have to manufacture the sensors that it would require.

Speaking of costs, this seems like a reasonable step in making a slightly improved product while eliminating a whole lot of unneeded extras, without requiring its users to greatly invest in the hardware needed to get a stable frame rate to run the thing. It will run ok on four-year-old computers, while a higher resolution setup will need an equivalent bump in graphics power - something that a lot of their target market simply won't have access to.

So if you've already got a Rift, don't buy this one as it's not designed to replace your old one. This is for new consumers. The upgrade brigade will have to wait.

Junior Potato
    No Man’s Sky is getting full VR support on PC and PlayStation as part of its Beyond update. It won’t be a slice of the game either - the whole thing is going VR. Pretty neat.

Administrator
    Palmer Luckey's been on a bit of a tear about the lack of IPD adjustment in the Rift S. He's a nutjob so I'm not sure how seriously to take what he says, but he claims that about 30% of people just won't really be able to use the Rift S due to its lack of IPD adjustment. I guess they're doing a software-based adjustment that tweaks the visuals coming through the lenses, but it sounds like that can lead to some distortion of the final image vs. just being able to move the screens/lenses.

Junior Potato
    PSVR has a software-based IPD adjustment and nobody complains about that :/

Junior Potato
    Valve is making their own headset and it is called Index.

Not a lot of info is available, but all will be revealed on May 1, as well as pre orders for shipping in June.

Administrator
    Requiring a GTX 1070 as a minimum seems promising. From what I gather, part of the reasoning behind the Rift S being basically a sideways move is they didn't want to increase the already hefty minimum requirements.

Junior Potato
    HHHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHGHHGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...459663873?s=20

Junior Potato
    Valve unveils Index. Pre orders open tomorrow, shipping end of June.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ty-pc-hardware

It’s high-end equipment. Dual 1440x1600 screens at 120Hz, external tracking, hand controllers with 87 sensors for natural open- or closed-hand interaction.

USD$1000 for the full kit tho

You’ll need a couple of gorillas for that and the PC to run it!