Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is here......almost

#1percent #getonmylevel #YOLO

For serious, though, gaming in VR *isn't* that important to them. That's the point. For Luckey, it is, so he has bought several expensive and wonky solutions. He claimed to be making a good cheap one that the average gamer could/would get, not just ones for people who are obsessed with VR like he is. Hence the price goal/claims.
    Get that weak shit off my track

If either of you two wear prescription lenses, be it glasses or contacts, then I'm very interested in hearing what your experience is like with it.

It's a good, relatively affordable kit. It's not cheap. I consider usd600 to be the upper edge of mainstream. Really, a fucking iPhone costs around the same amount and this is The Next Big Thing. I'd rather it be higher end and properly done than half-arsed and put people off, like the old VR solutions.

I'm sure Stephenb wears glasses, and being AzN, of course I do, too! Will let you guys know.

I guess the question is.. what is the average gamer?

To me, a gamer is someone who buys all the systems, has a PC gaming rig, buys a game every week, etc etc. So to me, they spend a boat load of money already and $600 doesn't seem crazy to get another cool experience.

A good TV or even a really good monitor will get you close to that $600 price. And this is supposedly a display tech on another level from either of those.

But then it also comes down to profit... were they looking to make much of a profit off of the dev kits? Or were they looking to just get them out there so developers can get on board? I'd think it'd be more the latter, and it was probably priced in a way so they weren't actively losing money. The final kit though, high profit margins, especially to start, to make up more R&D costs, to further invest in the company, to provide support for the general public, and well, to make some money for themselves.

I don't know... maybe I'm out of touch. I mean, I'm interested, and I'd love to see it be cheaper... but I'm also not offended by the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    /snip/
    I'm sure Stephenb wears glasses, and being AzN, of course I do, too! Will let you guys know.
    Good memory I'll be testing it with and without them. With the focal point being into the distance I'm curious if this will make any difference to a regular monitor where you are focusing close up.

Well, I do also have the benefit of those photos of us in that pub in Brighton with the artwork and mirrors.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    A bit late, but I finally ordered the Galaxy Gear VR for the Note 4 that I was going to buy 6 months ago

I know it's outdated now with the newer versions but I don't like the newer Samsung phones.

I'll post my thoughts once it arrives next week.

Oh, uh, I have Cardboard and have watched a couple videos with it. Pretty cool. I haven't looked to see if there are games or anything for it, just been checking YouTube basically.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Ok, brief overview of my Gear VR after a couple of hours of playing around with it.

First, overall it's pretty cool. I've watched several videos and viewed 360 still photos and also tried the Oculus Cinema mode which makes you feel like you're in a big movie theater all by yourself, or in a home theater, or on the moon....or the size of an ant.

It's also nice that I can use it to view all of the 360 youtube videos that people are posting now.

I haven't tried many games yet, partially as I don't have a wireless game controller that a lot of them require.

I will say that you do get the "Screen door" effect on it, since you're zooming in so close to see the RGB "pixels(?)" on the phone.

Also, I did get nauseous after the first 20 mins but after that I tried for an hour with no issues, I'm sure it depends on the application.

There's one included 360 video where you're in a musician's loft/studio while he's playing and it's quite surreal.

Overall I like it so far, though more of a "that's cool" gadget than something I'd use all the time. If these VR experiences eventually become the size of regular glasses, I think we'll see more adoption....but you still need a free place not to crash into anything when using them also.