Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is here......almost

The issues I have with current virtual reality headsets are that they lack peripheral vision, and can't simulate the ability for you to change your focus point.

Having experienced an HTC Vive on a powerful computer, the resolution was less of an issue than Nate's experience.

Those old classical blurred 3D pictures.

I can watch easily around them and they are small and my screen is low res.

Junior Potato
    Super Bunnyhop just put out a good video on ghetto-rigging a PSVR to work on a PC.

I feel his pain in using Trinus, as I’ve given up trying. The rest seems like “fun”, if not solid entertainment for the rest of us.

Swerv, or anyone smarter than me with VR (everyone).

Would you consider a used Oculus Rift CV1 w/Xbox controller and no touch controls for $200 shipped a deal worth taking? It would be almost exclusively for iRacing.

My system:
    460W PSU
    i7-7700 Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, up to 4.2GHz)
    NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
    16GB DDDR4
    256GB SSD

Will this run iRacing substantially better than PSVR runs GT:S?
    Do I even need the touch controls if I'm using a G27 anyway?

Administrator
    That's *almost* exactly what I've got right now, the only real difference is the PSU. I can't really compare with GT:S on PSVR as I've not had the opportunity to play with it, but I think iRacing on the Rift is awesome. The immersion totally makes up for the graphics hit, IMHO. The biggest issue I have with the graphics on the Rift is that it makes it hard to read the braking markers, but that's not really much of an issue.

You won't need the touch controls at all for iRacing, controls will be the same as what you're currently using (presumably keyboard + mouse for menu navigation and the wheel for the driving).

That said, the price isn't *great*, especially if you think there's a chance you'll want the touch controls in the future. Buying those separately will run you $100, and the whole bundle for the Rift, sensors, and touch controllers is currently $350, so you're basically talking about only $50 off if you do end up getting touch controllers. If you don't think there's any chance you'll want them, then that's a pretty nice deal since I don't think you can buy the rift without them anymore.

You'll need two USB3 ports (one for the sensor, one for the headset) and an HDMI port, so if you're short on either of those, that'll be a dealbreaker.

I *believe* I do, but great suggestion. Thanks.

Administrator
    Oh yeah, there's a compatibility check tool that Oculus has, I think it'll make sure all the ports are up to snuff. https://ocul.us/compat-tool

IMO that's not such a great deal TBH. It comes with the sensors too? Considering the touch controllers are actually really intuitive and knowing that someone has worn the headset (and you can get quite sweaty with it on) I'd go for a new one. At least you then get warranty too.

It was a deal that popped up on another forum. The guy is near blind in one eye so the thing didn't work out for him. Was going to take a shot on it but someone else beat me to it. He listed it back in September for $250+ship and it wasn't a sweet enough deal. Dropped it to $200 today and he got 4+ offers to purchase.

I'm not upset, I wasn't going to use it until next summer anyway. I'll look and see what the market is doing then. In fact, I boxed up my pedals, steering wheel, and button box the other day because I got tired of hearing it calibrate every time I started the computer to do homework.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Will this run iRacing substantially better than PSVR runs GT:S?
    Absolutely. It’ll do 90fps with 20 cars on the track and not break a sweat. GTSport does 120fps but maxes out at… two cars.

The PSVR headset refreshes at 120hz, but that doesn’t mean the actual frame rate is 120.

Do I even need the touch controls if I'm using a G27 anyway?
    Nah. Your inputs are all handled by the wheel and m+kb.