Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is here......almost

In a new development, it turns out it made the guy that bought it nauseous. He put it back up for sale on the same forum so I bought it. $209 out the door, I am happy to get in at that price point.

Finals are done Monday, looks like RDR2 is getting kicked to the curb and the iRacing box is getting fired back up over break.

If I hate it I know where I can sell it for cost, too.

Thanks for the opinions, folks.
    Last edited by dodint; December 15th, 2018 at 03:03 PM.

Administrator
    The nausea is definitely a thing that happens. I had *huge* issues with it when I first got it and my initial thought was that I had made a terrible mistake. Thankfully I listened to people who said not to try to power through it but just take it a bit at a time until it stopped bothering me. Now it's basically a non-issue, except if I ever have to reverse. That instantly sets it off for me, but then I just remind myself if I drive better, I shouldn't ever have to reverse.

I didn't have issues with PSVR and tried a bunch of different kinds of games, and demos for other racing games. We will see.

I have the CV1 setup. When I launch a race in iRacing my PC screen moves around with my head.

The CV1 screen is in a giant white room with screen trying to get me to buy stuff, and there is an iRacing icon at a bottom menu bar.

I don't have any controllers; can't figure out how to get it to open in iRacing. I launched iRacing from the Rift app and it flashes in the headset for a moment, then goes back to the white room.

Unless I'm missing something simple here, this blows.

Nevermind, I'm a halfwit.

There is an XBox controller and a regular controller in the box under the panel where the sensor was stored. REALLY glad I looked before contacting the seller.

I'm fortunate in that the nausea thing doesn't seem to be a factor for me at all. I fussed with it for about two hours, ending the evening doing Mustang donuts in the Road Atlanta runoff and didn't have a hint of a problem.

I'm looking forward to learning more about how to best make the Oculus work for me. Because right now it does some peculiar stuff that will be dissatisfying if they persist. Like, the only way I can get iRacing to work is if I launch it from the Oculus application. This isn't ideal because their iRacing portal isn't nearly as well organized as the actual iRacing portal. Would be nice if I could just launch my session and then put on the headset.

The other thing that is probably more disturbing is that if I'm using the headset, then slide it up onto my forehead to look at something on my keyboard, many times when I slide it back down the screen goes black and won't turn back on. The moment it clicks back into the right space for my eyes it just goes out and the only way to get it to work again is to shut down iRacing and then relaunch it from the Oculus app.

Similarly, the Oculus app keeps trying to setup the headset. It's like there is a handshake problem with the headset and it cycles, then the app wants to reconfigure it as if it were new.

There are probably aftermarket solutions to these issues as the Oculus app looks good but doesn't seem to function well.

Administrator
    That's weird. My iRacing app will ask me on startup whether I want to use the Rift or not. There should also be something in your Documents\iRacing\rendererDX11.ini file in the [Oculus Rift] section where you can set "AutoSelect" to 1, and it'll just automatically use it.

The thing about the rift turning off when you put it back on seems like something wrong with the headset. I believe it's got a proximity sensor a lot like most phones have. I can usually get the Rift to turn the screens on just by putting an object up near where that amber light is.

I'm hoping you didn't get a not-quite-working-right headset, 'cause none of those issues happen for me.

I try to keep it really tight for light discipline as my nose is shaped in a way that doesn't fill the foam very well. When I loosened it up it helped some, I'm not sure if I was rubbing against that sensor (or button?) next to the LED inside the headset.

I had already modified rendererDX11.ini to AutoSelect "1" before ever putting the headset on so I never get prompted, it just jumps right into it. I'm thinking of saving that .ini under a different name and having the sim put the default one back in and play with that. If it doesn't affect anything I can always delete it and rename the modified one back. I might have changed too many variables before learning the baseline behavior.

This is what my file has changed/added:

[Oculus Rift]
    RiftEnabled=1
    PixelsPerDisplayPixel=150-200 (Can't remember what I chose from that range)
    AutoSelect=1
    AutoCenter=1
    UIScreenSize=150
    UIScreenDistance=80
    MirrorEnabled=1

I might turn Mirror Enabled to 0 so the image isn't still on the monitor. I'm not having framerate issues but maybe it'll better force the signal to the headset.

Unrelated, but when initially installing the Oculus app I changed the default directory it wanted because it chose an SSD that I only use for storage of media. It ultimately failed to install later, had to restart that 5GB download and it go where it wanted. Fickle.

Administrator
    Huh, mine's pretty diffierent:

[Oculus Rift]
    RiftEnabled=1
    PixelsPerDisplayPixel=116
    AutoSelect=1
    AutoCenter=1
    PrevVirtualMirrorWidth=1116
    PrevVirtualMirrorHeight=216

I've also got issues with a little light leaking in around my nose. You can swap out the "facial interface" (read: the foam border), you might be able to find one that fits better. I've been wanting to find one that works better with my glasses - it's mostly fine, but whenever I take the headset off it takes my glasses with it.

Neat, I'll keep a lookout.

I'm also lucky that despite being almost legally blind in my left eye, the near vision is good so I can use the headset without glasses at all. The Rift is a much smaller headset than the PSVR from what I can see, which is good.