Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual reality is here......almost

Junior Potato
    I haven’t played Beat Saber because I know it’s just a Trojan horse for nerds to get fit.

Says me, a nerd who covers about 15 non-workplace kilometres a week playing Pokemon Go.

Administrator
    VR is useful in ways you wouldn't expect.

https://i.imgur.com/AVy5it6.gifv

I couldn't find it, but at some point in the past I told Brian that triples was better than VR. I was wrong. Very wrong.

When in iRacing I hold my breath in challenging sectors, just like I do on real tracks. It's a habit my HPDE coach pointed out and got me to work on, something that translates to VR that didn't happen with triples. The immersion factor is just so good.

VR still feels like it's in the walk not run stage, but I am so excited to see what's next.

Oh, my headset had a bad cable connector port. Despite not having a proof of purchase Oculus sent me a new one at their cost. Very cool.

Administrator
    Glad to hear you had a similar experience to me. I'm more than willing to trade the resolution for the immersion, at least with the higher-end PC headsets (still haven't tried PSVR). It's really the first time I've played a sim where I felt like I could really judge distances, like I feel like I'm less likely to drive up the back of someone in a braking zone, or misjudge my braking distances.

Yeah, agreed. I'm a lot more comfortable in traffic now.

I'm also fortunate that I don't get sick from it. I did an hour long run with the Solstice at Okayama and started to feel a little bit, but nothing bad at all. The only time I get any kind of dizziness from it is when I come to an abrupt stop. Just something about that motion makes me twitch; like when you walk up a flight of stairs and think there is one more stair and there isn't, feels like that. Just weird.

Another weird thing I do in VR that I don't do in triples is when I'm about to smash into the wall in an open wheel car I take my hands off the wheel. As if my G27 is going to break my wrist.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    (still haven't tried PSVR)
    It’s just like PC VR but you gotta put one of these between your eyes and the screen

https://www.google.com/search?q=fly+...w=1024&bih=659

Administrator
    Heh, I was mostly saying that the drop in resolution when going to the Rift is acceptable for me, I can't speak if the drop in resolution for the PSVR would be worth the trade off for me, as Nathan definitely made it seem like it wasn't worth it for him.

I'm a notable curmudgeon though.

Junior Potato
    Well PSVR is the lowest resolution of the main VR platforms, but it’s built to a price and pushing the limit of a lower-spec hardware config. It does have its caveats, that’s for sure. But the trade-off is that the average consumer can experience the bread-and-butter VR games for under $500. That’s significant.

In terms of the screen door effect, I’ll put it this way: PSVR gave me the oddest feeling when playing Ace Combat. The first mission takes place over a huge ocean with dotted islands, so it’s got a very uniform rich blue across the sky and the water below. Looking out the cockpit at the view, it felt like I was standing about four feet away from a giant cinema screen, but it had depth to it.

I’ve heard that the OLED screen in the PSVR has a sort of dirty texture to it called the mura effect, which you can see when the screen is black. It’s intrinsic to OLEDs apparently, something to do with how they can’t go below a certain black value. It’s totally not noticeable when it’s displaying anything other than black, but may be what gave me that feeling when looking at the sky in Ace Combat.