Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max (2015)

Mad Max (2015)

I've been absent from Xbox LIVE (read: Destiny) for the past 3 weeks and Mad Max is the reason why.

There has been a lot of ink spilled on this title, lots of reviews and hand-wringing, so I'm going to keep my thoughts on the game as short and sweet as I can -- but hopefully without arousing too much hype. That said:

Mad Max is like Grand Theft Auto V meets Red Dead Redemption... if all there was to do was variations on liquor store hold-ups.

This is a single-player open-world "sandbox-ish" game. There are a lot of different cars & trucks, you can drive (and collect) all of them, and they handle about as good as Niko's cars in GTA IV do. But what are you gonna do? It's like 10 years after a nuclear war, the bushings are dry, the dampers are shot and there aren't many folks left alive that know how to do a good alignment.

I feel like the fighting is like Fable (2004) expanded to allow for multiple combatants simultaneously. Yes, yes Batman: Arkham Asylum but c'mon Mad Max is more like the Punisher here than Batman -- wastelanders die at your hands by the dozens and the camera, graphical feel and even combat options are changed from B:AA. There will be times where you'll look at a group of 8+ baddies with relish and be downright insulted when a single wasteoid lands a punch. Stealth takedowns are in the game as well as standup fights -- Mad Max: Advanced Warfare?

The story mode is light. Anemic is another word. But it sure isn't from lack of effort -- this game has been in development since 2008 and they've been teasing screenies since 2013. The polish in the animations is quality. Car customization is light. #shrug Overall the gameplay borders on really good.

So... yeah. It's a good game, the best Mad Max game ever! But it sure is... empty. Kinda heartbreaking. Like Mad Max himself, who could obviously have any woman he wanted in the Apoppyclips and set himself up as the baddest warlord ever but instead chooses to drive and mope. #nonemoreemo

::

Note: if you've never played the original NES version of Mad Max, watch this vid. If you've never played Outlander on the SEGA Genesis, watch this vid. Both games made by Mindscape, Inc. (but Outlander was completed after they lost the license).
    Last edited by novicius; January 9th, 2016 at 06:55 AM.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    So, worth a play then? I've watched a few streams of people playing in on the PS4, but waiting for it to get real cheap until i think about a purchase.

The wife picked it up for something like $20 around the holiday sales. Based on what you various reviewers wrote, it sounds like a decent value at that price.

Well I am a stronger-than-typical North American Mad Max fan, and I played the hell out of the previous two MM games decades ago -- so yeah, it's worth a play and it's a deal @ $20 or less IMO.

The problem is: is it good enough to buy and put your limited game hours into in the face of GTA V, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Far Cry 4, etc? That's where it falls short because no, it's not. You really have to be a fan of the franchise (and not have played Fallout 4 yet ) to get the most enjoyment out of the game.

It’s not asking you to forgive its warts because it really has very few; it's just shallow.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Oh, i'm a huge Mad Max fan, even of the new movie, so it should be all good in terms of fanboyism.

Pro tip: turn off the music. I found it to be pretty heavy-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Well I am a stronger-than-typical North American Mad Max fan, and I played the hell out of the previous two MM games decades ago -- so yeah, it's worth a play and it's a deal @ $20 or less IMO.

The problem is: is it good enough to buy and put your limited game hours into in the face of GTA V, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Far Cry 4, etc? That's where it falls short because no, it's not. You really have to be a fan of the franchise (and not have played Fallout 4 yet ) to get the most enjoyment out of the game.

It’s not asking you to forgive its warts because it really has very few; it's just shallow.
    I just finished playing MGS5, started Fallout 4, and have The Witcher 3 in the queue. Realistically, Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 may be the only games I play for the rest of the year.

Play through the Story Missions only before going any further in Fallout? #shrug

Eh, once I get into Fallout 4, I'll be in for a while. I've been playing the series since the original on the PC.

Understandable.

Also to toggle between 3rd person driving and in-car view, double-click down on the D-pad. It's listed on the Controller - Button Maps - Vehicle Controls page but just be aware.

Also-also to bring up the in-game screenshot camera, click both thumbsticks.
    Last edited by novicius; January 10th, 2016 at 07:50 AM.