Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 F1 Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    I know that the turbo waste gate now has to exit separately to try and generate some extra noise. The smaller top pipe in the exhaust picture. Red is the exhaust driven stage of the turbo, blue the compressor. Yellow is also the MGU-K as its attached to the turbo.
    Blue box is the intercooler

Ah, yes, of course. I think then the orange is the MGU-K and the Yellow MGU-H.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    "Is it the silver bullet? I think it is something where there are a lot of positive contributions that go into make that decision, so it's not done for one reason, it's done for many reasons to make it something that we think is still attractive.

"I think the thing that goes against it is that it's bloody hard! In the whole debate there wasn't one big reason why we should do it, but there were a lot of medium-sized reasons why we should do it. On the contra side of the table there was the question of 'bloody hell, how are we going to do this?'

"That was the thousand pound gorilla. But there was nothing that said it couldn't be done, it was just that it hadn't been done. And that's quite fun, isn't it?"

Mercedes started work on its power unit three years before it was introduced, but Cowell admits his team had little in the way of expertise at that stage and even borrowed some ideas from Mercedes' truck department.

"There were not many of us who had worked on turbos back in 2011 when we started looking at the regulations. I think there were two people who had worked on turbos, and one of those had changed a turbo on his Subaru that had failed! It was a completely different technology and way of approaching it.

"Daimler with their truck engine division, and the turbo chargers involved in that, helped tremendously. There were several thermodynamic sizing areas where they helped and several reliability issues where they helped as well.

"Really it was a clean sheet start with lots of analysis and various architectures that could be used for the boosting and then we came up with this layout with the split assembly. There were a multitude of reasons why, but the one that made me smile the most was when people said 'where's the turbo?' because it's buried in among the internal combustion engine.

"All the bits are positioned exactly where the engine would like them to be positioned and exactly where the car would like them to be positioned. But there was an awful lot of analysis went into it -- 600 CFD simulations to get the primary design phase kicked off."
    acket.

So the new McLaren Honda is shaping up to be.... Worse than last year!
    Serious engine problems which if not sorted by the first race will see all tokens spent just to get it to not shit itself after a thousand miles.

"Do not put money on us"

Reliability can be found. Power is more difficult to get.

Hmm, not much launch coverage this year I guess. Not really needed though as what has been revealed are mostly just liveries, and most of them are the same as old ones or temporary anyway. Testing starts tomorrow, so we'll know more then, but here's what's been shown so far.

Mercedes (Official launch at Testing):

Williams (Trying to make the car better in slower corners):

Ferrari:

RedBull (Livery only):

Force India: Probably nothing until Test Day

Renault (Livery and car will probably change they say):

Torro Rosso (back to Ferrari power): Nothing yet?

Sauber (Livery only):

McLaren (things are not looking good again...):

Manor (no Rossi ): Nothing yet?

Haas:

New @HaasF1Team car remind you of anything!? https://twitter.com/Duncan_Harris/st...09096403185664

Administrator
    lulz

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Only the first test, but at least Haas is already on pace with Manor, despite Manor now having the super Mercedes motor, and somehow ahead of Renault.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via