Thread: 'HD" videos

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar

'HD" videos

Maybe it's just me, but it seems all of my videos i upload, or even have saved to the compy are not crisp clear full HD?

Take a look at the latest one for example which i just uploaded;

Was edited (text and joined the three clips together, nothing else) in Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 (which i recently bought from the USA). Saved to MP4 format, which was the second best quality after 'archive HD' or something.
    It was filmed with our drivecam, a Navig[8]r 1080p Full HD in car DVR Crash Cam, on its highest settings.
    Kinda seems too compressed or something, it has those fuzzyish squares all through it?

We also have a Go Pro Hero 2:

And a Sony SLT-A77V full HD digital camera;

The latter two were edited (and only cropped) with another crappier program.

Do you guys find the quality alright? I'm guessing those mega sharp videos you see on YouTube are taken with better cameras?

Not too many other HD movies on my channel, but yeah - maybe i'm just too fussy?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SkylineObsession
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; January 30th, 2016 at 08:14 PM.

YouTube Compresses videos even further.

Is it maybe an excessively low bitrate? HD res with a too low bitrate yields artifact-ridden high res video.

I'm watching these on a 34" ultrawide 3460xwhatever Dell U3415W monitor.

The first one looks highly compressed, but I suspect the source material wasn't that great in the first place. I suspect that the dashcam wasn't helped by its shooting (unavoidably) through the windscreen. In my experience, dashcam videos are rarely great, as they're more for reporting purposes than capturing 3X7R3m3#1!1!1!!111!!! Zk1LLZ

The Ferrari one seems fine to me for 1080p as most of it is close-up and/or interior shots, and presumably because the Sony has a much larger sensor. It is a bit dark in some parts.

The further compression that is (always? usually?) imposed by Youtube doesn't help. See the 2 attached files, 1 is a screencap from the original (GoPro Hero 2), the other one is off the Youtube version at 1080p.Original.jpgYoutube.jpg

Junior Potato
    Yeah the Ferrari one looks alright, probably the best you can expect for a consumer-level camera from a few years ago, held by hand in a moving vehicle.

You want to see the gear that Chris Harris uses? More accurately, the gear that the crew that bangs around with Chris Harris uses?

Start with maybe $20K and go up from there. They're relatively cheap productions, plus it helps to know the technical ins-and-outs of YouTube hosting, so that you can fully optimise your videos before uploading.