Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving: CO or CA. Opinions?

Is it true, that if you buy a new car in a different state, and try to register it in CA before it hits 5k miles, you have to pay an additional % towards smog? A co-worker told me that he luckily had over 7500 miles, but if he had fewer than 5k miles, it would have cost him $1500 instead of $50.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    Is it true, that if you buy a new car in a different state, and try to register it in CA before it hits 5k miles, you have to pay an additional % towards smog? A co-worker told me that he luckily had over 7500 miles, but if he had fewer than 5k miles, it would have cost him $1500 instead of $50.
    Fee calculator: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...esidentForm.do

How to register an out-of-state vehicle: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...es/howto/htvr9

Did your coworker not buy a 50-state legal vheicle? Those have to jump through additional hoops if newer than 7500 miles.
    Whoomah!

No, that's not correct. Not really any part of it. <----- In regards to Kid's post, not Random's

If you are a resident of California and you buy a vehicle from another state with less then 7,500 miles on it, that vehicle is considered to be new and thus must be a 50-state car. You cannot register a new 49-state car in California. If you buy a new (<7500 miles) 50-state car and bring it home to California, you have to pay sales tax on it.

If you are a resident of another state and have even a 1 day old, 0-mile car sitting in your garage and you decide to move with it to California nothing special happens as long as it was legally registered wherever you came from.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr29

Edit: The concept here is there are rules to prevent residents from avoiding sales tax, not to penalize people moving here
    Last edited by thesameguy; April 17th, 2017 at 01:31 PM.

We weren't going to register it until we got there.
    Probably be a hybrid, so I'm pretty certain it'd be a 50 state car.

Comical point. My buddy moved from KC to Cali, after he just bought two motorcycles.

He had to pay sales tax in Missouri, then because of the rules in Kalifornistan, he had to pay additional there as well.

He was thoroughly pissed.

My brother-in-law had to do the same with his F-150 they he bought in NJ. Supposedly the NJ taxes paid could've been deducted, but there was some issue with getting NJ to send the right paperwork.

So he basically got taxed twice on a $50k pickup. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Comical point. My buddy moved from KC to Cali, after he just bought two motorcycles.

He had to pay sales tax in Missouri, then because of the rules in Kalifornistan, he had to pay additional there as well.

He was thoroughly pissed.
    This shouldn't happen unless he didn't register them in Missouri first. Which I don't know why you wouldn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    My brother-in-law had to do the same with his F-150 they he bought in NJ. Supposedly the NJ taxes paid could've been deducted, but there was some issue with getting NJ to send the right paperwork.

So he basically got taxed twice on a $50k pickup. :/
    This happens all over the place, this isn't some unique situation to California. Maybe you just hear about it more because more people move here. Because it's awesome.

Seriously, though, with a big purchase like a car it's obviously very attractive to buy in a place with lower sales tax than where you are so all states (AFAIK) have similar rules to prevent the state or other locality from losing sales tax. It's especially dire in California (and Washington, and Idaho) because Oregon doesn't have state sales tax. You could slip across the border and save thousands - and people would.

If you paid tax somewhere else and can show that, that tax should be deducted from what is now due... eg, if BFE has a 5% tax on a new car, then you bring it to California where it's 8%, you're only liable for 3%. That's on the form you fill out when you register the car.

MA is the same: http://www.mass.gov/dor/businesses/c...e-tax.html#Out
    WA is the same: http://dor.wa.gov/content/QuestionsA....aspx?id=10363
    FL is the same: http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_libr...t/gt800030.pdf

Those are just the top three google results for out of state car purchase tax credit

Nothing special happens in California except wrt to emissions, 49-state vs. 50-state.

In Illinois, you pay sales tax rate in the locality where live if you buy it, even in state. If you lived in another state and brought a vehicle you bought over there, no tax difference is due if you lived there for at least 3 months. My sister and brother-in-law definitely had the F-150 in NJ for longer than that, well before they thought about moving to CA (he wouldn't have bought an AWD model otherwise).

Or you just have no sales tax at all.

FREEEEEDDOOOOOMMMMMM

NC doesn't have sales tax on cars, but every car you title in state, new or if you moved in, is taxed at 3% of the value.