Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Thinking of moving: CO or CA. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    In Illinois, you pay sales tax rate in the locality where live if you buy it, even in state. If you lived in another state and brought a vehicle you bought over there, no tax difference is due if you lived there for at least 3 months. My sister and brother-in-law definitely had the F-150 in NJ for longer than that, well before they thought about moving to CA (he wouldn't have bought an AWD model otherwise).
    They got hosed, because that is definitely not how the law works anywhere. No state can impose sales tax on property purchased elsewhere while you were a resident of that other place. The only way that scenario would unfold is if that vehicle was not registered in the previous place and you somehow could not show you paid tax in that previous place, making it look like you, as a California resident, bought a vehicle in another state. The law is like crystal clear on this. The fee calculator Random posted earlier even has an entry for "Use/Sales Tax Paid*to Another State" so you don't get taxed twice. Either your family talked to the dumbest DMV employee in history (totally possible) or they didn't read the form. Or, I guess, they never registered the vehicle wherever they came from and lost all the paperwork associated with the purchase. I guess that could happen too. I have brought numerous vehicles in from out of state, and never been taxed twice - you just fill out the box "use tax paid elsewhere" and - depending on the numbers involved - submit proof.

I'm not sure exactly what happened since it was a few years ago. They might've missed a deadline by not registering the vehicle in California until the New Jersey registration was up (I know in IL, you're supposed to do so within 30 days), or they may have lost their paperwork in the move and not been able to get any proof of tax paid from New Jersey.

That could happen too, although usually the DMV is pretty lackadaisical about imposing those types of penalties. Definitely sucks for them, but I guess re-affirms you gotta pay attention to avoid losing a bunch of dollars.

In any case, I think we've hashed out how the system works.

The other factor that could be in play is if and how it was financed. For example some states have a sales tax on lease payments whereas other states have a sales tax on the purchase and not the payments. Not all states have agreements for offsetting so if you start moving between states with different methods things can get whacky very quickly.

U-S-A
    U-S-A
    U-S-A
    U-S-A
    U-S-A!!!!!!!!