Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving: CO or CA. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Doesn't California also still have that 6% consumption tax (General Sales Tax)? That's pretty off-putting.
    That's kind of a thing in 45 of 50 states, and in a lot of the municipalities of the other 5.

CA sales tax varies between 7.5%-10 (or so) depending where you are. CO varies from 2.5% (?) to around 10, again depending where you are.

CA has higher income tax than CO. Neither state does city/county income taxes, AFAIK.

COL is almost certainly higher in LA, even compared to Chicago.

edit: if you're looking to buy, CO has lower ppty tax rates.
    Whoomah!

Ah, ok. I'm just used to a true capitalist market with no consumption tax and 16% income tax at highest, not your clearly COMMUNIST ways

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Doesn't California also still have that 6% consumption tax (General Sales Tax)? That's pretty off-putting.
    Try 7.5% at the state level, though local governments can and many do add more. It can be as high as 10% in some places.

8% in San Diego.

This is entirely my personal, anecdotal experience, but having spent some time in both the LA area and Colorado I'd choose CO without a second of consideration.
    I've always found Southern California to be a nice place to visit, but for some reason after a few weeks it starts to feel weirdly oppressive - I think its a combination of the traffic, the cost of living, and the light (for some reason, the sunlight makes everything feel overexposed). Also it really seems like a high proportion of the population is giving off really desperate vibes - it's like no-one is happy with where they're at and what they're doing. NoCal is very different - and vastly preferable in my opinion.
    Colorado otoh, is easily at the top of my list for places I'd be really happy to move. Lots to do, decent cost of living, and the residents seem generally happy. Also (and I'm sure this has to do with how much more time I've spent in CO than SoCal), it seems like CO has more variety in types of places to live - Towns and cities of pretty much every size, as opposed to SoCal, which seems like you're either in giant suburban sprawl or way out in the sticks.
    -Formerly Stabulator

I'd go NorCal or Coolerado. Since you aren't considering NorCal it has to be Coolerado.

I liked Oregon. Very pretty state. I got positive vibes there.

Ashland, OR: Lori and I stop in to the tourist info centre to get a state map. We talk about driving routes with Mary, the very nice lady behind the counter. After we're done I ask, "How much do I owe you for the map?" Mary sweetly replies, "This is Oregon, dear. It's free."

Property tax, income tax, sales tax, blah, blah...
    Those things are only important if you measure your happiness by your bank account.

Bill, I know you are an environmentally-minded person. Do you want to move to a place that is desperate for water? The southwest is running out of water fast.
    Last edited by Cam; February 18th, 2016 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Some real nice hospitals in the Sacramento area...just sayin'.

Between Denver and LA, I would personally pick Denver. LA is too much for me. Too much traffic, too much brown, too much everything.

The midwest is too grey in the winter for me. Dec-April is all grey. The sky is grey, trees, roads. And if it snows, it's pretty for a day... then it mixes with the road dirt and turns grey too.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Having been to both SoCal multiple times and multiple cities in CO. I'd move to Colorado Springs.

Other choice I'd personally take, Arkansas. But that is like my 'retirement' goal. The roads down there are a driver's/motorcyclist wet dream.
    In-laws retired to Arkansas... The roads are fun. But, you'd have to live in Arkansas. I'd rather just visit.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Also, more weed, more Subarus, more flannel, more mountains and more George. I'd rock it.
    Also, more Nigel/Chris/Ian/Zach.