Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Existential musings, SLM's neurotic fun ride, also should I bother with a full frame DSLR?

I was being sarcastic btw.

Good. I was worried you were being serious that the 24mm was too restrictive on a crop sensor camera. Anyway, I love the lens. The image stabilization is so good it can make you nauseous when you move the camera around but what you see in the viewfinder stays steady.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering changing over to shooting raw. First, because all the cool kids do it. Second, because I hear it helps with brightening up dim photos. However, at the same time I'm also in despair over all those moments I've captured in a lossy format up until now. How many of my memories have been distorted by jpeg compression? How much have I lost in the name of more manageable file sizes?

All of them. You have no choice but to invent a time machine, go back in time, kill yourself, and take over your former self's identity, but shoot in RAW.

Took photos of an event in low light last night in raw... So much better ability to brighten photos than jpg. Good stuff.

Anyway, are the quickly dropping resale values of old camera bodies an admission that only a few years ago our ability to capture photos was that significantly lacking? Why am I so repulsed by the idea of a super-cheap, second generation 8MP Canon 1D?

It all depends on your expectations. Digital cameras in many ways surpassed most 35mm film years ago. But if you're wanting a noiseless image in pitch black conditions, then digital cameras still 'suck'.

Doesn't high ISO film tend to also be grainy due to the larger light sensitive crystals it's made with? Or is that still negligible compared to the high ISO noise from DSLRs?

Anyway, found a good deal, $900 for a used 6D... Will soon be shooting in full frame bliss while stoically contemplating whether this camera is an adequate piece of technology to capture any situation and do it justice, regardless of what comes out later.

any camera can do that as long as the person behind it is talented enough.

I instantly throw away every photo I take because its not full frame.

Hmm, is there a setting for that? Like, immediately after the photo review flashes up on the screen, the camera deletes the photo off of the card?

Anyway, Rik, I would argue that not any camera can do that because some situations are not well lit enough for many cameras to get a good exposure of them. Yes, there's a flash, but just as a matter of principle, I really dislike using flashes for many reasons.

Jason, I just wanted full frame for the better low-light performance. Truthfully I think APSC is completely adequate for almost all situations, especially in a studio where you don't have to deal with that. Also, the full frame lenses end up having too narrow of a field of view on a crop sensor camera for my taste, especially a Canon, which has an even smaller crop size. Again, not a problem when you're in a studio and you can just move closer or further away from what you're taking photos of.

Well yeah, that's why there's lenses built for crop formats