Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Existential musings, SLM's neurotic fun ride, also should I bother with a full frame DSLR?

No, no there aren't. I don't know about Nikon, but Canon doesn't seem to give much love to its crop sensor line of lenses. I mean, they make a 50mm 1.4, but nothing that fast in a shorter focal length that would be good on crop sensors. It seems like all of the lenses designed for unique purposes are in focal lengths more geared towards full frame. But, ultimately this is probably because a lot of the designs date back to the film days when there was no such thing as a crop sensor.

Also, man do I really love buying used gear. Firstly, I now have a $2700 camera and lens combo that I only paid $1600 for, and second, there's none of that apprehension that comes along with trying to keep a new piece of equipment in perfect shape. Normally I would be freaking out about keeping something I spent this much cash on in perfect shape. But as it stands, who cares? The camera is already just a little beaten up. Why bother trying to protect the rear screen when it already has a scratch in it? I love this!

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    No, no there aren't. I don't know about Nikon, but Canon doesn't seem to give much love to its crop sensor line of lenses. I mean, they make a 50mm 1.4, but nothing that fast in a shorter focal length that would be good on crop sensors. It seems like all of the lenses designed for unique purposes are in focal lengths more geared towards full frame. But, ultimately this is probably because a lot of the designs date back to the film days when there was no such thing as a crop sensor.
    I used a 28mm 1.8 as my "normal" lense on a 7D before changing to a full frame camera. Did me just fine.

Yeah, ok, there is the 28 1.8. But it's not a 1.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    Also, man do I really love buying used gear. Firstly, I now have a $2700 camera and lens combo that I only paid $1600 for, and second, there's none of that apprehension that comes along with trying to keep a new piece of equipment in perfect shape. Normally I would be freaking out about keeping something I spent this much cash on in perfect shape. But as it stands, who cares? The camera is already just a little beaten up. Why bother trying to protect the rear screen when it already has a scratch in it? I love this!
    Yea, some people are over protective of their gear and are afraid of even lightly scratching it. I caused my friend to be super nervous in japan because he thought I was insane for never having a strap on my camera. Honestly, cameras can survive some shit, I mean they're not as delicate as people make them out to be.