Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel

Bro. I am here in Johor until 22 lunch. Get me those liknks pronto please. I definitely want that char Siu place please. Kthxbai

Locations on the way.

Travel related news...
    QANTAS just did a direct non-stop flight from NY to Sydney. Thats over 19 hours.
    Ok this was just a test, with min passengers, but didnt stop them claiming it as the longest commercial flight (Hmm - not sure if any of the passengers bought tickets, reading articles it implied they were invited)
    They hope to start this in a few years as well as a London to Sydney.

This will be a big thing, as it does save several hours over doing a stopover.
    But I dont think it will make a huge change, we really need to get supersonic to dramatically change travel times. Or better yet, hypersonic and several times the speed of sound. Make this 20 hour flight down to say 8-10 hours (or maybe 4 for hypersonic) and it really opens up the world.
    Will Boeing and Airbus even think about this? Probably not after the collapse of the market for larger aircraft. Big risk putting lots of money developing radically new that might not sell.
    Boeing have expressed interest, but dont seem to have an active project.
    But I think coming from the space flight end - SpaceX etc, could end up with something.

Anyway - thought the news of the NY-Sydney was travel related, even if it didnt mention any particular dishes!!

Thanks for the links mate. Will check some out asap. Most likely the bkt as that's close to our next hotel (the Renaissance).

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Thanks for the links mate. Will check some out asap. Most likely the bkt as that's close to our next hotel (the Renaissance).
    OK, if you're staying at the renaissance then kaya toast at The Toast is also highly recommended. Add a soft boiled eg for dipping heaven.
    https://goo.gl/maps/wmEVge4wM2nyZYyG6

It's fancy, it has a roof and air conditioning!

Thanks so much man. I don't need the roof or aircond! Kids do like rice with meat so I'm sure we'll hit up the other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Thanks so much man. I don't need the roof or aircond! Kids do like rice with meat so I'm sure we'll hit up the other places.
    Girlfriend says if you’re staying at Renaissance then go here for nasi lemak

Malam Indah Selalu
    Jalan Permas 14/3, Taman Permas Jaya, 81750 Masai, Johor, Malaysia
    +60 13-773 3523
    https://goo.gl/maps/DjJJm9kVfFd39brw7

Apparently not so much the seafood as it’s overpriced

Thanks mate. Ended up going to Sing Lok Lok for steamboat and some sticks for the kids as it was next door. So a bit too late for nasi Lemak and we're sadly going to SG tomorrow after lunch, so no nasi Lemak. Will

This cocktail bar is super awesome though!!

Actually you know what, screw it. I'm on the way to eat nasi Lemak now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Travel related news...
    QANTAS just did a direct non-stop flight from NY to Sydney. Thats over 19 hours.
    Ok this was just a test, with min passengers, but didnt stop them claiming it as the longest commercial flight (Hmm - not sure if any of the passengers bought tickets, reading articles it implied they were invited)
    They hope to start this in a few years as well as a London to Sydney.

This will be a big thing, as it does save several hours over doing a stopover.
    But I dont think it will make a huge change, we really need to get supersonic to dramatically change travel times. Or better yet, hypersonic and several times the speed of sound. Make this 20 hour flight down to say 8-10 hours (or maybe 4 for hypersonic) and it really opens up the world.
    Will Boeing and Airbus even think about this? Probably not after the collapse of the market for larger aircraft. Big risk putting lots of money developing radically new that might not sell.
    Boeing have expressed interest, but dont seem to have an active project.
    But I think coming from the space flight end - SpaceX etc, could end up with something.

Anyway - thought the news of the NY-Sydney was travel related, even if it didnt mention any particular dishes!!
    I was temporarily on the R&D program attempting to figure out making hypersonic commercial flights possible. So far we've only been successful at flying mach 5~6 for 10seconds at 1st with NASA's grant. Then we developed a hypersonic missile that few for 3 minutes... and then the research halted. That was back in 2008 I think. US was a leader back then. It's only starting back up recently because foreign nations are starting to experiment with it.

Anyway, our current effort was actually funded by Trump's tax credit. Do this research... and save on the taxes! Unfortunately after the Max grounding fiacso, we have reduced income... so no more taxes to save! Anyway, R&D budgets have been frozen since company is tight on money. Once the Max issue is resolved, it should resume... hopefully I can get to work on it again...

Personally, I think Elon's idea makes more sense. Why fight air resistance at hypersonic speeds wasting fuel and battling thermal management? Just get into space! Only draw back for Elon would be the launch part. People with health conditions probably won't be able to fly on his rockets.

So I think SpaceX's plan is more feasible, but the ideal of an hypersonic commercial plane is still way cooler... Still, if we can't make supersonic concords to work economically, I really don't see how we can flying hypersonic economically. Boeing realized this that's why they didn't go ahead and build their own supersonic plane to compete with Concord.

So in all honesty, if Elon could make his stainless steel rocket to work, he'll be difficult to beat.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 21st, 2019 at 08:29 AM.