View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hole in one

5 83.33%
  • Albatross

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf hypothetical …

Golf hypothetical …

I was just wondering about albatrosses and holes in one and it turns out an albatross is FAR more rare (which makes sense given the distance involved), but if you could choose to have one or the other just once, which would you want?

For the sake of argument, the ace is on a par 3 and the albatross on a par 5.

Ace. An albatross would have to be explained each time (what course, which hole, why it was exceptional) whereas everyone knows what a hole on one is.

Administrator
    I'm gonna go with dodint here because I wasn't sure any of the above was English, and his response makes sense.

Administrator
    Also, the Ancient Mariner has an opinion.

Hole-in-one. It's a bragging right. An albotros would be better for a score, but -2 vs. -3 over 100 shots isn't a big deal for the likes of me.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    ... An albatross would have to be explained ...
    This is why I would choose hole in one as well. You don't want to be that guy going "well, actually ..." every time you get to tell someone.

A few other hypotheticals are popping into my head now ...

F1 Champ vs. Triple Crown
    A stage win in the Tour de France vs. outright victory in the Vuelta a Espana

Sarazen's albatross at the Masters in 1935 is the only one I can name off the top of my head that has any real notoriety.

You could just get a hole-in-one on a Par 4 and have them both.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    F1 Champ vs. Triple Crown
    I couldn't care less about golf, but you mention this and NOW I have to weigh in

Far fewer drivers have a triple crown than there are drivers that have won the WDC. I'd go for that because it's far more interesting than just being good at F1. We've had a few drivers recently trying to get a triple: Alonso at Indianapolis and Montoya at Le Mans, each having won two of the three events.

You really need to be an F1 driver to start with to get a chance for one, because Monaco is the Mt Everest of the three, with the others being relatively easier to reach. Looking at the list of recent Monaco winners, I can see three who would have a decent chance of being able to get a triple crown, and those are Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen, and Lewis Hamilton.

All three could probably get a Le Mans win this year if they really wanted it (or even better, the three of them in a single team), but if they were to try for an Indy 500 win they would have to go up against the likes of Alex Palou, Helio Castroneves, and Josef Newgarden, who are absolute masters of their craft right now. Not easy at all.

Going the other direction, I can't think of a single endurance driver who would have a shot, and maybe Palou from IndyCar if I'm being generous. A lot of good luck would have to go his way.

Probably the best thing about it? It's an achievement with no trophy, no prize money, and no record book.

I only play golf when I play GTA V. Other than that I have no interest.

But hole-in-one sounds good so I'll vote for that. When I get around to it.