Page 27 of 73 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel

I'm gone about two months out of each year, but I do it in smaller one to two week batches.

I hear it's better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Off to Milan, then Rome, next fall. Finally getting to use those Delta miles to ride up front the whole way.

Definitely leaving time between Milan and Rome for automotive-related activities; what's recommended? Factory tours in the Motor Valley in Modena? Ferrari won't let you on the floor if you're not an owner, but Lamborghini and Pagani will, but I'm guessing they've got museums. Is it worth renting a fun car for the Italian countryside?
    I did the Ferrari and Lambo museums, both worth it and if you want to drive a Ferrari there's a multitude of places you can hire one for an hour or so (but probably cheaper for you just to go to Vegas). Roads are good around there but better further up north in the dolomites or around switzerland and austria (hot tip, Stelvio is massively overrated, especially the north side). Ferrari museum is tacky as fuck and packed but worth it, Lambo museum is very quiet, not as extensive but I enjoyed my time there (when I went they were redoing the line for the Aventador so no factory tours). Around general italy I'd hire something small and think about something fun when further north, you can hire Porsches from Porsche in Switzerland or look at Sixt as they tend to have something at least small BMW, RWD and manual which is enough fun (I did it in a 3 series manual diesel and the swiss alps were fun in that)

For the better half stuff, I'd agree that shorter trips better. With my girlfriend now she's got lots of flexibility in where she can work from as long as she can get back to singapore semi regularly. So our planning for the next four months is she had to go back to Singapore for three weeks so I organised a week in Bangkok and she came up for a long weekend to break that trip up. She's coming back next weekend, we'll do Bali and Singapore then come back to aus for a couple of weeks, then mid Jan she'll go back to JB/Singapore as as her mother is having an operation. I'll go to sweden then fly back to Belgium where she'll join me for a month or so. Then she has to come back for Sydney for an Ed Sherin concert and I'll come back a week after that and we'll both go to Japan for 3 weeks. That brings us to mid April and I'm either going back to Belgium or possibly Korea, South Africa or Thailand. Or all of them which is kinda what we're hoping to do.

Yes, Sixt generally have the best cars in Europe. Or see if there is an Avis Prestige. It may be difficult to get a fun manual from those mainstream brands, though.

The one time I tried to rent from Sixt (F-Type) they took my reservation but wouldn't guarantee the car. It came to a few days before my trip and they still didn't have the car, finally cancelled the reservation when I pushed them. Ended up renting a C7 from Budget.

Administrator
    Huh, I'm only aware of one Sixt anywhere nearby...it's technically in Beverly Hills, but right on the edge and not in the nice "right next to Bel Air" edge. I'd always sorta assumed it was a place that would rent you a car for lots of money if you had a bunch of hits on your driver record.

Sixt are an European company. My experiences with them in the UK and Europe have been generally good (but I generally have decent experiences renting cars in the UK and Europe). The cars are almost always brand new and about half the time I get something better, like going from an Octavia/Passat wagon to a V90. They seem to have the newest fleet in general.

Hertz are generally good too, whether in the US, or in the UK or Europe. There was the time they tried to upgrade me to a minivan instead of the Mustang convertible I'd ordered, but I did get my car albeit a bit later that day.

From what I've read about Sixt in the US is it's very dependent on which location you go to as the experience can vary widely based on how local management chooses to operate. The Miami Airport Sixt has horrific reviews on Yelp, Flyertalk, etc.

I would happily try and rent from them again I just have to go in with my expectations calibrated.

Oh yes. The same is true of most rental car companies. But in Europe I am generally more confident that I get slightly better service and cars from them than from the other mass market operators.

I often use them for the same reason as YW, generally more fun cars for the same money. Last time I was in the US I got the 328 for something like $42/day which I thought was a bit of a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I'm gone about two months out of each year, but I do it in smaller one to two week batches.

I hear it's better that way.
    slow_clap_citizen_kane.jpg