Page 40 of 73 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel

Oh, nothing beats Japan or Malaysia. Hong Kong isn't bad too. But even for an Asian country, and when compared to most countries in the world, Korea is up there.

We are only transiting via Lyon to Courcheval. I had to rent a V Class with snow chains. Watch this space...

And MR2 Fan, let me know when you're over.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Going to France soon to learn how to ski.

No, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer
    Going to France soon to ski.
    Much better.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    And MR2 Fan, let me know when you're over.

Administrator
    Here's my friend's feedback about Austin.

If you're looking for good beer, Metric Dr. is full of microbreweries with their own tasting rooms. I've been to one, Adelbert's which was excellent, and they're all dirt cheap (at least compared to LA).

The East Side of town is becoming the gentrified hipster area, so tons of great restaurants and bars, small enough that you can walk between places. It's also "less college-student fall down drunk than 6th street", though "it's still worth seeing 6th on a Friday or Saturday since it's all foot traffic and it's basically Mardi Gras every single weekend, but you can go see that, then go under Hwy 35 to the east side and hang out there."

If you hike, he says Mckiney falls is worth visiting, though it might be kinda hot that time of year.

The capital building has a free tour, and San Antonio is about an hour drive so you can go see the Alamo, and if you're interested in outlet malls there are some on the way there.

The "Bob Bullock Museum isn't the greatest, but they get really interesting guest exhibits, so depending on what's in town, that could be cool."

It's "prime bat-seeing time", so the South Congress bridge is cool just after dark with lots of bats that live under it and go out hunting for insects.

Swift's Attic apparently is pretty reknown, and "there's a cool jazz club called The Elephant Room beneath it if it hasn't moved."

If you want bbq, you can get great bbq at "anywhere not called 'Dickey's'"

"I hear Austin Beer Garden Brewing Co. (ABGBC) is really cool"

Jester King brewing is in Dripping Springs and has pygmy goats on the premises.

Dripping Springs also has The Salt Lick which is one of the more well known bbq places in the area.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 1st, 2019 at 08:39 AM.

Administrator
    And speaking of traveling, Michele and I are going to Mexico City in early May, so if anybody has any recommendations for that, we're all ears.

I wonder how hard it is to get tickets to see a filming of the live music show Austin City Limits. Yes, I know I could look it up, but I'm just "thinking out loud" here. I've enjoyed that show (depending on what band is performing, of course) for a long time and always thought it would be neat to catch a show if I was ever in town.

+1 on avoiding Dickey's BBQ. We have them here and I've eaten there two or three times over the years. At best, it's just another chain restaurant serving average food, and more expensive than it ought to be.

Thank you for all the advice!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    And speaking of traveling, Michele and I are going to Mexico City in early May, so if anybody has any recommendations for that, we're all ears.
    Not a resident, but I can ask around. What's the mood?, where are you staying?

Of course the Roma/Condesa area it's where it's now at, but as with all things hipster, there's a certain homogeneous vibe to it.

Word of advice though, It is not a city, it's a huge monster and everything you want to do there needs to have an extra consideration you were not first aware of. Stuff like crime, traffic and scheduling.
    acket.