Page 47 of 73 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel

Administrator
    Ahh, yeah, the only pulling of finger vernacular I'm aware of out here is related to flatulence, so I was curious what you meant by it.

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...20finger%20out

I’m Australian so I shorten everything. Except short words which I add a ‘o’ or ‘y’ to. When I was working in the US the people I was with would randomly burst into laughter, that was when I learnt I used a lot more Australian slang in day to day conversation than I realised.
    Yeah nah?

Very common term - "pull finger" is rarer as shortened form and you almost never hear the "out of my arse" (ass being a mule)
    But to "pull the finger out" is a definite cry to action!
    So as long as he is not flat out like a lizard drinking... it should get done!

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Yeah nah?
    Nah, never, I’m no fucking bogan

Nah, yeah.

Okay, back from my Mediterranean Cruise and back to work! It was great to see Europe for the 1st time. Bad part of being on a cruise is that every off shore excursion felt rushed... or at least a bit stressed because you don't want to miss getting back on the ship... you also miss out on sampling local authentic food... food on the ship is free or included, but just not that good.

We spent an extra day at Barcelona but still couldn't find enough time to sample the places Swervo suggested. So I don't think our tapas were as cheap nor as good at these touristy places, but good enough for us I suppose. It's not easy to find places to eat when you bring along a kid who's always hungry and just wants pizza or pasta...

Anyway, it was a nice trip with good sampling of Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Malta... unfortunately our ship docked at Rome on a Sunday when the Vatican and Sistine chapel were closed..., but still, pretty much all basilicas, cathedrals in Europe that we visited seemed outrageously built. Can't imagine what Vatican and Sistine chapel must be like, must be even off the charts amazing... will have to return someday...

Oh, also I don't think we were targets of any pickpockets. We've even got on metros in Barcelona and Marseille... also done quite a bit of walking in Rome, people all seemed pretty friendly and maybe there were attempts made to steal stuff from us, but at least I didn't know nor did we lose anything! The only 20 Euro I lost is when I forgot I had stashed it in my little jean pocket and I sent it to the laundry service onboard the ship... of course the 20euro never made it back! That was my own stupidity. Anyway, people in general, regardless of their race or nationality, are pretty friendly. Main thing we hated about the people there were that there were amazing amount of smokers. Maybe we're just too spoiled here in CA where we pretty much banned smoking everywhere... so it was kinda hard for us to get used to smelling cig smoke pretty much everywhere! Also, there were lots of bikes and scooters there, which probably contributed to their worse air quality? My wife has pulmonary issues... every time she stays in Taiwan for more the couple of weeks, she'll start to have breathing problem. She experienced similar issues there as well...

So other than air quality, we love it there!

The smoking thing would be a bit of a surprise to a lot of people now, especially as a lot of places in europe banned smoking in bars in the last 5 years so there's still heaps of people standing outside smoking. Personally I also find europe in general to be filthy, rubbish everywhere, particularly cigarette butts! For the pollution their problems are their past obsession with diesels and cities that just aren't built for cars and there's nowhere for the NOX in particular to get out. Thats why they're so focused on transitioning to cleaner cars, there are so many people dying from the pollution now.

For my update it looks like when I get back to Aus in a couple of weeks time I'll only get a couple of days at home and then have to pop over to Thailand for a few days, thats handy as I really need to see my tailor as I've been particularly healthy recently and dropped a chunk of weight. Then I'm straight back to Korea for a couple of weeks, home for a few days and then I think I'll be going to Shanghai and Beijing for 10 days or so. After that I'm hoping to get at least month at home because I kinda miss it.

I don't understand how you can travel like that all the time. I actually returned home last Thursday evening and it's now Tuesday and I think I'm still a bit jetlagged...

It's not a major problem as all the destinations he's mentioned are, at the most, only a few time zones apart.

Yeah, the biggest spread I usually have is only 4 hours and I usually only go to europe once or twice a year (which still isn't that big a deal). For that sort of time shift you might wake up a little early and go to bed a little early so you kinda just go for a walk or to the gym or something first thing in the morning and 3 days in you're just as per usual. The climate change affects you more actually when you're bouncing between proper winter in Korea and Singapore of bangkok regularly you come down with flu like symptoms very often.

Hardest stretch I've done is fly from Frankfurt on a Tuesday lunchtime, arrive sydney on Wednesday night. Work Thursday/friday in the office, Fly out saturday morning to Japan, night in Tokyo, Sunday morning leave to fly to London then Brussels. Spend Monday in Gent, leave Gent Tuesday lunch to take the train to Avignon (6 hours) arrive late that night. Work Wednesday to Friday lunch in Avignon and take the train back to Brussels getting in about 10pm. Saturday morning catch a flight to Tokyo getting in Sunday morning, shinkansen down to Osaka and walk into the office there on Monday morning. I think I worked there a couple of weeks (which just happened to have the Japanese GP on the middle weekend) then back to Tokyo for a night and home to Sydney.

Travel is gonna slow though, girlfriend has been tagging along for the past 18 months which she could do as she worked from home (her job was based in Singapore) but now she's going to get a job in Sydney so she can't fly around with me. It's gonna be weird, I'll still do trips but for shorter and less often and we'll cut ourselves back to only 2 or maybe 3 overseas holidays a year. I feel domesticated.