Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel

Tokyo was pretty good.

I mean, I spent 95% of our time there working in the hotel lobby (the Hyatt Centric Ginza is a great hotel, but the rooms are totally unsuitable for working) and realised a few things:

1. The change in that hotel lobby's light cycle - both natural and artificial - as you go from 6am to 3am is interesting.

2. There are some people who obviously think getting down to work is a dick-swinging contest. Some random wanker was sitting on my right and obviously felt intimidated by my papers, as he pulled out his phone and was talking so loudly that I could hear him through my earphones say things like "Oh, the lounge was really excellent... and we had a fantastic tea at that Michelin-star restaurant" and of course, best of all, FIVE TIMES in TWO MINUTES he said "I am going to take THE ASTON MARTIN." I was briefly wondering if I should, for fun, pretend to make a call and loudly say things like "There are VITAL HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUES in this TORTURE CASE!!!!"

But for the 12 hours for which I wasn't working, grabbing a quick bite, or travelling to/from Tokyo, I had a great time at:

- Toyota Megaweb - Honestly this is as great as all the reviews say, if not better.
    - Teamlab Planets. Sadly couldn't get tickets for the other one, but this was great.
    - Nikufes Beef Festival - slogan is "NIKUFES MEAT SAVE THE EARTH". Stuffed face with beef for next-to-nothing, got some good beer from the Hokkaido Brewery too.
    - Oktoberfest tent - in April and feat. a band playing that well-known German song, "What's Up" by the 4 Non Blondes.
    - Life-size Gundam statue light and sound show.
    - Perfect weather.

So, quality over quantity!

It was 4am in the morning in CA, why don’t you and IMOA get some sleep rather than posting at the same time during that wee hour in the morning...

Btw, how about this kind of dick swinging contest?

I have absolutely no need to meet up with clients anywhere in the world! Sometime I could just work at home and don’t even need to drive to the office!!! Saving the Michelin tires from wear and tear...

That's nice, but I get to walk around at lunchtime and look in-person at some of the best-looking women in the whole region. And in return, they get to look at me.

Fine fine, you win. Although our company seems to hire a lot more women lately, but we enginerd community probably will never end up with the best looking women around...

Actually, I have a friend who interviewed at SpaceX and saw a bunch of good looking women going in and out of the lobby area... so maybe Elon Musk is pretty good a hiring sharp good looking women? Maybe retsmah can confirm since he's worked there?

beachvolleyball...

at the beach...

just saying!

Yeah, but they don't get to see me. Sadly for them.

Administrator
    Mexico City was a lot of fun. It was a great reminder of how much of Mexican cuisine you don't find at all in the US. Also a reminder that Cinco de Mayo essentially doesn't exist in Mexico.

The ruins at Teotihuacan were an incredible experience, the Uber driver who shut off the app 75% of the way into the ride and dropped us off at a different location was an unnerving experience. Biking around the city on a mural tour was a good time, though the bikes were astoundingly awful. We had another bike tour with better bikes, but it was just us two and our guide who had scratched his cornea that morning and had to call the ride off. He kept trying to soldier through it but we finally convinced him it wasn't worth losing his eyesight to give us a tour. If we go back (and we probably will, it's a short enough flight to make a long weekend of it), we want to give it another go with him.

Pujol had some amazing food, though some middling food as well. We loved the neighborhood we stayed in (right on the border of Condesa and Roma Norte), but it, like everything else in the city, was just constantly loud.

People we know were constantly warning us to be careful, but other than the dicey Uber episode, we never felt even remotely unsafe. The only real big downside - the smog reminds me of Los Angeles in the '80s. Just brutally bad.

Glad you had a great time and didn't get robbed by the uber driver, but how come Cinco de Mayo doesn't exist in Mexico? How can that be?

Administrator
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo - I guess it is still celebrated in the state of Puebla, but that's about it. It's mostly a beer holiday in the US though.