Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Going to Montreal this weekend with a couple of buddies. Road trip. It’ll be my first time ever outside Ontario, (within Canada). We were talking about flying to Calgary in July for the Stampede. Would’ve been fun but too many days off work, so I had to decline. Montreal will be fun, I’m sure.
    I never followed up on this here.

I went to Montreal the weekend of June 14-16. Friday afternoon after work my buddy picked me up and then we picked up another friend on the way. Decided to take a detour through Ottawa and spent the night there. The club scene was totally lame and dead in that city. It was a complete waste of time going through there. I’m sure Ottawa is great if you go with family, (which we’re planning on doing soon), but with friends it’s easily avoidable.

Anyway next morning we headed to Montreal and crashed at the hotel for a few hours. Went for a walk through downtown and hung out at a nice patio on Rue St. Laurent for dinner. They have some really really nice patios there. But the rain put a damper on things, as walking around town was not quite as fun as I hoped it would be. Montrealers, (like most Quebecers), came across as rather dickish people. Kinda stuck up, especially the women, (maybe because I was wearing a Blue Jays hat). Checked out the club scene later that night and found a really great spot. Next day we came home.

Overall it was a good trip. Kinda rushed through things, as we were really tight on time. Basically we drove five hours there to eat, sleep and club. Obviously you need at least a week or so to properly visit Montreal, which I’ll do with the family in the future. That weekend was more of a getaway for my buddy, who was going through a lot of work related stress at the time. I enjoyed it for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Yeah man, we are doing OK. Thanks for asking! Things are a bit intense sometimes but generally life goes on. Just need to be a bit more careful when planning where to go and what to do outside of work. I mean, tonight they used tear gas and no one even bothered to update the github livestream page lol.
    I literally came back in here to find this out.

Thanks man. Actually, if you want to watch live updates, the github page is quite impressive, although I suppose most of you will have language issues. You can set between 2-25 livestreams, refresh, full-screen some, etc. Most of the interesting action usually takes place between 8pm-midnight HKT on Friday, and 3pm-midnight HKT on Saturdays and Sundays.

https://ncehk2019.github.io/nce-live/

It can be interesting to watch it if you have time, as a lot of the reporting out there is inaccurate and/or sensationalised.

YW, do you feel that perhaps there is US or other foreign entities meddling around or is this truly the will of HK people trying to gain more freedom?

Probably a combination of both? Just like Russian's meddling in the US wouldn't be too effective if there weren't significant number of Americans unhappy with status quo...

Are people of Hong Kong politically polarized as well? I know family and friends in Taiwan are so freaking polarized right now... some see what's happening in HK as warning for their own bleak future and wants independence, yet others want Western nations to keep out and quit meddling around "chinese" people's own business...

Personally I'm not sure where I'd stand. I would like to see eventual reunification of China, but not under this dictator rule though...

Anyway, hope everything will turn out for the best. Will keep you guys in my prayers.

Sorry for the little detour. Now, back to traveling...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 28th, 2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Friends are always welcome in the Garage.
    Ash couldn't get off school in September for NOLA/Savannah/NC or else we would've stopped in to gawk at your wood.

Instead I'm going to fly out to Phoenix Friday and drive straight back to Pittsburgh. 31 hours. I have my podcasts ready.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    YW, do you feel that perhaps there is US or other foreign entities meddling around or is this truly the will of HK people trying to gain more freedom?

Probably a combination of both? Just like Russian's meddling in the US wouldn't be too effective if there weren't significant number of Americans unhappy with status quo...

Are people of Hong Kong politically polarized as well? I know family and friends in Taiwan are so freaking polarized right now... some see what's happening in HK as warning for their own bleak future and wants independence, yet others want Western nations to keep out and quit meddling around "chinese" people's own business...

Personally I'm not sure where I'd stand. I would like to see eventual reunification of China, but not under this dictator rule though...

Anyway, hope everything will turn out for the best. Will keep you guys in my prayers.

Sorry for the little detour. Now, back to traveling...

I am definitely NOT the person to speak on this, but I feel like this is something the other powers may feel is something of a "domestic" issue so to speak. Either way, they're going to be assimilated in what, 28 years anyway. The other powers may feel that these protests are just delaying the inevitable and I really feel bad for the HK people because they're basically stuck if no other power steps in to assist. I don't agree with this stance, just stating how it may be perceived.

I feel like the only reason Taiwan keeps its relative independence is the U.S. backing. I don't know what would happen if another first world country tries to step in now on HK's behalf.

Anyway, I don't think there's any external influence on this situation or it would be more obvious...there'e enough of home grown dissent and similar things that have happened before there.

Of course, people more familiar with the matter can definitely tell me if I'm way off base here.

I think thats about right. No other country is going to try to get involved between china and hong kong because, well, it is just a domestic issue. If china got super heavy handed then I'm sure there would be some very stern language used in diplomatic press releases and maybe even some sanctions announced (which would be quietly wound back in a few months time) but no-one is keen to poke their nose into that mess. They're just moving their expats to Singapore, problem solved.

Yes, people certainly seem more polarised nowaday.

Other than that, I don't have anything to say other than what I've mentioned above, which is to be careful and critical when reading much of the reporting out there and to avoid treating it as the gospel truth.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; August 28th, 2019 at 10:20 PM.

Oh yeah, my bad, probably not a good idea for you to say too much about our beloved chairman Trump at the moment.

Anyway, besides polarized people, the polarizing reports also make it difficult for people to really know the real truth.

Unless situation devolved into a humanitarian crisis, HK people will be on their own. Future direction of China will be in your hands... and also perhaps the Taiwan people... Best of luck to you guys.

Ibiza is awesome!