Page 62 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel

They're not actually that. They were smart lampposts but there was no facial recognition tech. Also, the small local tech company that makes those lampposts has had to withdraw from the contract as its employees were doxxed and threats made to their families. That happened around 5 weeks ago.

http://www.ejinsight.com/20190827-sm...-amid-threats/

But hey, the person or algorithm who sent/recommended it to you clearly doesn't like to let facts and perspective get in the way of a false, sensationalist claim.

It was on Reddit, which is why I included all the disclaimers. People can post anything there and say it's whatever they want to say. And I haven't been following the HK situation specifically, but I keep seeing more and more about it.

Just this morning, I found a Wall Street Journal within reach. The front page story was about HK banning masks for protesters. I guess it's the occasionally-confrontational libertarian in me, but my first thought was "good luck enforcing that!" I mean, why wouldn't a protester wear a mask or disguise or something? I sure would. Everyone has a camera in his pocket these days and a YouTube account - nevermind "official" cameras.

All this surveillance and facial recognition technology is quite scary, and if it's happening in one part of the world, it's probably happening in many others without people even knowing.

What exactly does a smart lamp post do?
    -Formerly Stabulator

They can do what you program them to do. In this case as per https://www.stengg.com/en/citysense/...rt-lamp-posts/

"... the MPLP leverages IoT sensors that are fixed on the lamp posts to enable real-time collection of city data such as weather, air quality, temperature and vehicle flow-related information. This will allow improved city management and support various other smart city initiatives.

The MPLP also provides services such as Wi-Fi hotspots, electric vehicle charging facility, information dashboard for maps and directions, real-time traffic updates and car parking space vacancy information to residents. The use of renewable energy to power the MPLP will also be trialed."

That makes sense, I suppose I'm used to imagining most of that stuff on traffic/stoplight poles rather than lamp posts (which I know realise are apparently a different class of object in my brain).
    -Formerly Stabulator

Sure.

George, I’m not having a go at you. I am, however, irritated that there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Who’s spreading the most misinformation and why?

"The most".

I’m not sure what’s so funny. In US, right wing news outlets for sure are the ones spreading the ‘most’ fake news. However, left leaning medias are capable of spreading fake news too. They all have their agendas.

Just wondering what your opinion is regarding the 2 sides currently fighting in HK. Which side is more wrong... or which side would you like to see prevailing...

It’s still a fair way off but apart from obvious stuff like not speaking mandarin while in HK is there any need for us to do anything in preparation or start organising alternate plans for new year trip? Obviously if a protest is kicking off where we are well fuck off well quick but we don’t want to come over and have curfews etc in place as the reason we’re heading to HK is the eating and drinking and that’s mostly at night.

And as a serious question YW, at what point do you say ‘fuck this’ and move? Certainly a lot of the companies we’re talking to are moving key staff to Singapore now.