Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GB's 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8v6

That is a crazy scenario - like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I'm surprised there was a citation - how could he have known the Camry's distance? Your following distance is based on the assumption the car in front is coming to a normal stop, not an abbreviated one. Totally lame. At least he was in a safe car

Hopefully insurance?

Yeah, it's insured. I'll have the adjuster look at it, but not positive how I want to proceed atm.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    That is a crazy scenario - like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I'm surprised there was a citation - how could he have known the Camry's distance? Your following distance is based on the assumption the car in front is coming to a normal stop, not an abbreviated one. Totally lame. At least he was in a safe car

Hopefully insurance?
    While I can't talk about US traffic laws, in the UK it's almost a guarantee that if you run into the back of someone the Police will automatically assume you were following too closely. Even if the car in front stops for absolutely no reason, you should always expect the unexpected and remain far enough behind that you can stop without hitting them.

They definitely try that cheap in the US but it often doesn't hold up. At freeway speeds a guaranteed safe stopping distance is about 200'. That's 150' to get from 70 to 0 and a couple seconds reaction time. Ain't nobody leaving 200' between cars here. We have definitely had similar cases where we sue the first guy for an unsafe stop (stopping for a green light, etc.) and/or the second guy for creating a hazardous condition with his inattention. Not saying that applies here, only that the rear ended isn't a legal slam dunk in the US.

What TSG's Aero looks like, vs. what mine currently looks like:

TSG's

Mine:

Insurance companies SUCK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see yours is also sitting next to a Jaguar.

I gotta be honest, that looks really bad. Definitely fixable - all panels and trim, I don't see any frame damage, but still a lot of pieces. What's the prognosis?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I see yours is also sitting next to a Jaguar.

I gotta be honest, that looks really bad. Definitely fixable - all panels and trim, I don't see any frame damage, but still a lot of pieces. What's the prognosis?
    I'm sure it is fixable, but it's the cost to fix which is what insurance companies look at. For such a car it wouldn't take a lot for it to be written off.

Insurance law vary wildly from state to state, and even operations within a single company will vary from incident to incident. We have State Farm insureds who struggle to get KBB trade-in valuations and then the next moment one gets a NADA high. It seems totally random. If GB's company goes the former route, he's already hosed. If the latter, it's not even a concern. Unfortunately you really don't know anything until you have the discussion and then argue for a month or two.