Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SLM's photographic, artistic conundrum/crisis

Keep going until it's of more help. Let go of your ego, don't think you are smarter than them or that they are xyz, just listen and try to take what they say to heart.

I let my friends use my pictures for whatever they choose. If they choose to tag me in the posts, then fine, if not, I will silently enjoy that my work is appreciated, or I will make a silly comment about the talent of the photographer.

But I am incredibly casual and unplanned in most of my photographs, I'm the person that just looks for something that catches my eye and then takes a picture of it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

That's not the issue Keith.

Anyway, I dunno, I'm trying to figure out what my hang up is with photography, specifically photographing people performing.

I mean, yes, photography is art. I guess I just feel like kind of a phony because it seems like it's too easy to be called art. It's too fast and painless to create photos to call them art. Well, I guess in some cases it's not, which then I would understand calling it that better.

When people say how great a photo I took was, I can't help but just feel like anyone could have done it with some basic knowledge. It doesn't take enough effort for me to really consider it art. I mean, writing/performing a song or making a painting, to me those are orders of magnitudes more work and require more talent than photography.

With respect to photographing people performing, I just kind of feel like, without them doing their thing, you would never have those photos. How can you really claim a photo as your own when it was a photo of someone else doing their art?

Anyway, took photos of a band on Friday. Sent them the photos yesterday. They were praised by the band as being "fantastic." The lead singer now has one as her fb profile pic, where it has received yet more adoration from friends.

I am happy, and yet I feel like the Wizard of Oz... Anonymously pulling levers behind a curtain to everyone's amazement.

Maybe I'm not looking at this right. Maybe I'm not taking into account the rigors of real professional photography and all that goes into shooting in a studio.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Seek help from a therapist.
    If he did he would have to change his nickname to happy little man.

"Painting" by itself is not difficult. Having one or two good paintings? Luck or happenstance. Being able to consistently produce quality paintings that are all unique? That is the realm of an artist.

I have taken a few good pictures in my life, maybe a couple dozen out of tens of thousands. Jason could plan something out and take just as many this weekend. He better understands what he wants to achieve, and how to achieve it, and how to let it achieve itself.

If you think it is too easy to take a good picture, then challenge yourself. Come up with your own idea, your own setting, your own mental painting, and then go use your camera to paint it. Don't rely on someone else's performance, someone else's lighting, someone else's clothing and special effects. Get rid of all the things that are being set up for you and go set it up yourself.

That's the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    That's not the issue Keith.

Anyway, I dunno, I'm trying to figure out what my hang up is with photography, specifically photographing people performing.

I mean, yes, photography is art. I guess I just feel like kind of a phony because it seems like it's too easy to be called art. It's too fast and painless to create photos to call them art. Well, I guess in some cases it's not, which then I would understand calling it that better.

When people say how great a photo I took was, I can't help but just feel like anyone could have done it with some basic knowledge. It doesn't take enough effort for me to really consider it art. I mean, writing/performing a song or making a painting, to me those are orders of magnitudes more work and require more talent than photography.

With respect to photographing people performing, I just kind of feel like, without them doing their thing, you would never have those photos. How can you really claim a photo as your own when it was a photo of someone else doing their art?

Anyway, took photos of a band on Friday. Sent them the photos yesterday. They were praised by the band as being "fantastic." The lead singer now has one as her fb profile pic, where it has received yet more adoration from friends.

I am happy, and yet I feel like the Wizard of Oz... Anonymously pulling levers behind a curtain to everyone's amazement.

Imposter Syndrome. Welcome to the club

Last edited by Rikadyn; April 9th, 2016 at 12:00 PM.

In a way I feel like even more of a fraud than that guy because at least he is actually living off of his photos. I feel like it detracts from people struggling to make a living at photography or any type of art for me to call myself a photographer because I don't have to walk the tightrope of being good enough at it to be able to support myself.

Anyway, someone saw me taking photos at an event last night, and he said he wanted to hire me to take photos of him doing stand-up comedy. I explained to him that I'm just taking photos like this for my own enjoyment. He understood the value in hiring a photographer that isn't trying to make money at it. So, I gave him my contact info.

So up to this point, I have been given a small plastic toy horse as payment for taking one set of photos, and now I have one possible lead for another job. I think I have one of the most successful photography businesses in history, among people who have not and do not intend to start a photography business.

I have "sold" my photography skills for free food #imrichbitch

Now I'm determined to unintentionally have a more successful photography career than you.

In that case, here are your goals:
    - Get a free lunch once a month
    - Take pictures for a friend, then sell some for $5 each to one of her regulars and split it with her
    - Have a bunch of different people tell you they want you to help them make a calendar, and then never follow up on it
    - Have a few friends and family ask you to take pictures for them for free at their family events