Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: SLM's photographic, artistic conundrum/crisis

No-one gives a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    If I post up highly edited photos of the stars and northern lights taken in a remote area which are enhanced far past anything you could actually see, then wouldn't people similarly strive to go to those places in the hopes of seeing something like that? But ultimately it's unattainable, because even if you drive hours away from civilization in the middle of the night, the sky still won't look like that.

How is this any different from photoshopped models in magazines? I'm basically saying "look what you can see if you drive all the way out here on a clear night." But it's not true. In fact, I myself did this in hopes of both seeing and photographing something like this. And now, I have photos that look like this, but it wasn't really as amazing as I thought it would be.
    1) Your goal in taking the picture was not selling anything, it was creating a piece of art. That is the major difference.
    2) You can, and many do, post the notes of how you created a picture along with the picture. You will see this often in camera reviews, for instance, where the reviewer will specify when an image was edited to taste and sometimes even the specific methods and values of adjustment. Again that is related to commerce of a product rather than simple appreciation of the image.

When the image itself is the final product, do with it what you will, and choose to share your methods based purely on your own decisions. If the image represents an attempt to accurately present a person, location or another object, rather than existing purely on its own, then be considerate of what you do and honest with how you did it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    No-one gives a shit.
    We get it. You don't give a shit. If you truly didn't give a shit, you would not be here trolling.

I knew I shouldn't have opened this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    We get it. You don't give a shit. If you truly didn't give a shit, you would not be here trolling.
    Ok, maybe I give enough of a shit to tell him no-one gives a shit.

Actually, that's probably giving a shit about something else. Whatever.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; September 7th, 2016 at 05:17 PM.

Somebody wants to buy my star photos. He wants the digital files to print out as 8x10s. I think I'm going to give him resized photos suitable for 8x10 prints. I don't really want to let the horses out of the barn so to speak by giving him full res files. I've been reading online, and I hadn't considered this before, but a full res file of a good photo should really command a hefty price since is effectively giving someone free range to run off as many copies as they want. But at the same time, I already made it clear that I just do this as a hobby, so I don't feel like I can charge huge prices in this case. So, I feel like resized files for a modest price is a good middle ground.

You are going to let someone else profit off your work?

No, he wants to print them for his own personal use. He was at the same spot I was at when I took the photos. He did not have a camera, so he offered to buy photos that I took.

So sell him the photos. At least for how much gas it cost you to get to the place.